[GN] Yena (IZ*ONE) - Worth The Wait

Start from the beginning

That was always the hard part.

It also didn't help that Yena was prone to sleep late and in turn, wake up late. The pile of work that was thrown onto her for classes also didn't help and she found herself never getting to sit next to you, usually ending up at the end of the line of girls who were also trying to beat each other in the race to get to that spot.

By the time she got to the auditorium doors and strolled into the lecture hall, she saw that group of girls that haunted her.

Sakura seemed to be the fastest today as she excitedly whispered something into you ear, prompting you to let out a little chuckle. You look to be enjoying yourself, adding onto Yena's troubles.

As the door clicked closed behind her, Yena noticed you glancing over your shoulder to her. The duck's eyes went from yours, down the row of girls, and to the open seat that she had been consigned to for multiple weeks in a row, doomed to be distracted by the thoughts of what you were talking about with the girl beside you. The only saving grace was the smile you would always give her when she inevitably enter the lecture hall late.

Today was much of the same, though when Yena walked down the aisle beside you, you raised your hand to brush her hair. It caught Yena off guard for a moment, but when she realized it was because her hair was a mess after rushing out of the door, embarrassment took over.

"Up late again?" You whispered to her as you tried to pad down her unruly hair. "You really need to go to sleep at a reasonable time, you know that?"

Yena looked up at you and she noticed the envious stared she was getting from the other girls. There was a sense of pride that built up in her chest as she ignored them and turned to you. "Well maybe if professor Choi didn't assign half a textbook to read and a five page essay, I wouldn't be late. Blame her, not me." There was a teasing and haughty tone in her voice that you hadn't heard in quite a while and it was refreshing to you ears. Yena's confidence had grown tenfold, though you wouldn't know it had dissipated to almost nothing in the first place.

"That essay was given out weeks ago. If you didn't leave it until the last minute, you wouldn't be pulling all-nighters to finish it." You had finished taming Yena's disheveled hair and retracted your hand from her head. "I just hope you didn't forget to add citations like last time."

"Whatever." The teasing tone never left as Yena dramatically turned away and walked down the row to the seat she had scorned. As she sat down though, it didn't feel like the purgatory she had dreaded in the past. She knew Chaeyeon was right when she had said she was your number one no matter what and the thought never left her mind as she pulled out her notebooks and focused on what was being said in the lecture.

___

Competition breeds innovation and Yena learned that fact the hard way.

When Yena arrived at the lecture hall a little earlier than usual, she realized the seat beside you was open. It was a sight for sore eyes, especially after finding out that she had gotten an earful from her professor about forgetting citations in her sporadic essay.

Yena quickly took her spot beside you with haste as if someone would snatch it away from her if she left that seat vacant for a second longer. The speed had even caught you off guard as you got your note-taking equipment out.

"Awake early today?" You laughed, surprised by Yena showing up to a lecture on time. "What's next? Is the sky going to come falling down?"

Yena huffed as she pulled out her notebook and pencil. "I'll have you know I'm a very good student who is just severly overworked. If there's nothing due, I can come to lectures on time."