[GN] Yena (IZ*ONE) - Worth The Wait

Start from the beginning

So as a month went by, Yena found herself not being able to really push past the label of "best friend" and her frustrations grew tenfold. There were too many barriers to overcome. Too many potential future best friends. Too many potential girlfriends. Too many things Yena had to fight through to finally stand in front of you victorious and as she would do whenever there was something she needed help with, threw herself onto Chaeyeon's bed and whine endlessly.

"Hyewon sat beside (y/n) during our academic writing course! Can you believe it?!" Yena complained into Chaeyeon's balled-up blankets as she thought about the lecture she attended earlier that day. It wasn't bad enough that she was late to the lecture because she slept in, but it only got worse when she saw who sat beside you. So instead of sitting in her rightful place beside you, she found herself relegated to sitting beside Hyewon as the innocent-looking girl happily shared her sketchbook with you. Yena didn't have to look to know that it was filled with designs Hyewon had made for her class and that you were impressed with them. As much as she wanted to just focus on the lecture that was going on, your little murmurings with Hyewon wasn't going to let her take in what was being said about paragraph structures or how to get your point across in one sentence and for the whole three hours, she sat in the dim, overcrowded room in misery. "I can't believe Hyewon distracted (y/n) that whole time!"

Chaeyeon had heard this many times already and she was starting to get tired of it. As much as she loved Yena as a friend and admired her ability to start conversations with anyone, this was the one time Chaeyeon didn't want to be the duck's conversation partner.

Rewind to high school and Chaeyeon found it cute how much Yena talked about you. It was fun to watch her friend fawn over someone and be so head-over-heels in love that she couldn't focus in class. Even if her grades were teetering on the edge and she would lose sleep because of her late-night phone calls just to gush about what you were doing in class that day, it was nice to see her friend take interest in something other than comic books and food.

But that was a year ago and now Chaeyeon wasn't sure if she could listen to Yena whine for another second. Jealousy wasn't a good colour for Yena and she didn't want to see her friend make enemies months into college.

"Listen, I know that you don't like (y/n) with other girls, but I'm pretty sure they aren't going to fall for them anytime soon. I mean, how long have they known these girls? Weeks? If anyone's falling for someone in a few days, it isn't (y/n)." Chaeyeon moved her laptop over to the side and sat up straight. "They think about things before they do them. (y/n) puts a lot of thought into their decisions and no matter what you think, you're still number one in their heart."

The whining stopped for a moment as Yena took in Chaeyeon's words. She was right. You weren't an inpulsive person like Yena was. There was no way you were going to start dating one of these girls out of the blue.

But there was still something lingering inside of Yena that she didn't like.

___

Another day, another class Yena was late for.

With midterms right around the corner, stress was at an all-time high for students and it was no different for Yena. The clock showed 6 in the morning the last she remembered, but now it was 3 in the afternoon.

Yena's head shot up from the textbook she had fallen asleep on as she scrambled around her room looking for clothes, books, food, and caffeine and by the time she burst out the front door, she was already half an hour late. The main auditorium wasn't far, but as she knew she wasn't going to be able to sit beside you for the lecture once again.

For the past month, Yena had learned what everyone already seemed to know. 

You were always at least thirty minutes early for lectures with a coffee in hand and notebooks ready for important points to be written down for upcoming assignments and exams. That marked the window Yena needed to be there by so she could secure that covited seat next to you.