Will the Wise (Part 2)

"Good morning!" Gwen's voice broke Nikki out of her dreamless sleep. She opened her curtains letting in the sunlight. "I'm not going to work today because we need to fix your problem with your powers and I have just the plan."

"What is it?" Nikki asked sleepily, rubbing her tired eyes.

"We'll discuss it after breakfast," Gwen started to walk towards the door. "Which you are eating. I know you didn't eat much yesterday."

"Okay." Nikki sighed, rolling out of bed.

This better be a good plan. She thought. The sooner I can control them, the sooner I can help out my friends.

***

"Anything?" Lucas asked Mike who was running back to them after trying to get a hold of the Byers.

"We need to talk," Mike said running up the stairs to the entrance of the school. "AV room. Right now."

Everyone got up to follow him but he stopped short of the door and turned to Max. "Party members only."

"Come on, Mike," Dustin said trying to help Max.

"No! This is non-negotiable."

Lucas felt bad for Max, all she wanted to do was help. Mike kept shutting her out.

"Sorry, Max," Dustin said honestly, gathering his stuff.

"Sorry," Lucas shrugged feeling upset as he walked in the school. Leaving Max behind.

***

"Will didn't want me to tell anyone," Mike started to explain, "but on Halloween night he was a sort of shadow in the sky."

"A shadow?" Lucas questioned from his seat beside Dustin. "What kind of shadow?"

"I don't know. But it scared him. And if Will really has True Sight...I mean, if he can really see into the Upside Down, maybe he saw that shadow again yesterday."

"So that's why he was frozen like that?" Dustin hypothesized.

"Maybe."

"Can it hurt him?" Lucas asked, fearful for his friend. "I mean, if this shadow thing isn't from our world..."

"I'm not sure. Dustin?" The boys looked to their friend for an answer.

"Well, if you're in another plane," Dustin thought out loud, "you can't interact with the material plane, so theoretically, no, the shadow can't hurt him."

"Yeah, if that's even what's happening," Mike sighed before going deep in thought. "This isn't D&D. This is real life."

"So what do we do?" Lucas asked, looking between Dustin and Mike.

"We acquire more knowledge," Mike stated. "I'll go to Will's after school. See what's going on. You guys stay here and find Dart."

"Dart?" Dustin questioned. "What's he gotta do with this?"

"Will heard him in the Upside Down." Mike reminded him. "I don't know how yet, but he's gotta be connected to all this. He's gotta be. If we find Dart, maybe we can solve this thing. Maybe we can help Will."

***

"What's this?" Nikki asked picking up a piece of paper Gwen had put in front of her.

"The plan," Gwen said sitting down next to Nikki.

"A piece of paper?" Nikki raised an eyebrow at her.

"No," Gwen laughed quietly. "It's an address."

"Why?"

"You aren't the first person from the lab to be here," Gwen explained. "The only difference between you and her is that she didn't want to stay with me. Which I totally get, she really didn't trust grownups that much. But nonetheless she trusted me enough to tell me where she was going to stay, in case somebody else came along and wanted somewhere to stay."

"Who is she?"

"Her name is ivory, and she is just like you. Except for different powers and all of that, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that she might be able to help you control your powers. She lives in the next town over and I can help you get there. Is this okay?"

Nikki thought about it. She remembered the thoughts she had this morning.

The sooner I can control my powers the sooner I can help my friends.

"Yes."

***

"Hey, Max. Have you seen Dustin?" Lucas asked after the last bell of the day rang. "We're supposed to meet after class."

Instead of getting a response, Max slammed her locker shut then quickly made her way to the exit, leaving a confused Lucas behind.

"Max!" He called as he ran after her. He followed her out of the building still trying to talk to her. "Hey, Max! Hey, where you going? Come on! We've gotta go look for Dart."

"Yeah, good luck with that," Max said without turning around to look at him.

She began walking faster, making Lucas run faster to try to keep up.

"What is wrong with you?" He asked walking behind her.

"What is wrong with me?" Max asked angrily. "What's wrong with you?"

"I don't understand."

"No!" Max snapped now facing Lucas. "I don't understand! You guys act like you want me to be your friend but then you treat me like garbage!"

"That's not true!" Lucas defended, trying to come up with a way to make it better.

"Yes, it is! You go and hide in the AV Club, keeping secrets like we're in second grade or something. You know, I thought you guys wanted me in your party."

"We do. Buts it's..."

"But what?"

Lucas sighed, knowing he can't tell her. Especially in public. "There...there are just things. Things we can't tell you, all right. For your own safety."

"My own safety?"

"Yes!"

"Because I'm a girl?"

"What? No!"

"Did you keep secrets from El or Nikki?"

Lucas paused at the named, shocked that Max even knew them. He felt his heart drop as he remembered her. "How do you know about them?"

"Did you?"

Lucas shook his head. "That was different. Trust me. Okay? That was just...just different."

"Okay. You know what? Forget it, okay?" Max shrugged. "I don't wanna be in your stupid party anyway. I'm out. Have a nice life."

Lucas watched as she turned and started walking once again. "Max!"

"You still stink, by the way!" Max called over her shoulder.

Lucas stiffed his jacket. Instantly smelling garbage he threw his hands up in defeat. "Oh, shit!"

Authors note
Hope you guys enjoyed!

Love ya!!❤️❤️❤️