Would that man do the same to me and Dan if we weren't "children" in his eyes? The dreaded thoughts was met with simple "yes" in the back of my head.

As soon as Andrew came back and we entered the car I had to ask the burning question. It was the only thing I had on my mind right now.

"Who is Michael?"

"To you he's no one and it will stay that way"

"What do you mean? I have the right to know!"

"What you have the right to know is not for you to decide" I could feel the anger growing in my chest. My heartbeat quickened and my hands clenched into fists. I was even more irritated when I realised that for Andrew the topic is closed. "Because I can't trust any of you Russell will accompany you whenever you go out together. Elisabeth you're grounded for two weeks" he said in stern voice.

"Why only me?" I asked feeling like I'm one step from exploding.

"I need to have a chat with Dan before I decide on his punishment"

Oh, so Dan wasn't getting away.

"Whatever you say, Andrew" I said trying to add as much venom to my words as I could.

"What did you just call me?" He asked in a chilling voice I refused to back down.

"Andrew. That's your damn name, right?"

"Language. And since when we're on the first name basis?"

"Do you prefer Mr. Flynn?" I asked irritated.

"I prefer father or dad" he responded calmly, I could feel that my fury left him completely unaffected he wasn't yelling back at me we was just normal stone fucking cold self.

"I'm never calling you that"

"I'm your father Elisabeth. Whether you like it or not"

"Well, I don't like it" I said stubbornly I had no idea why I felt the need to push him but I did.

"I'm very sorry to hear that" he said but his voice remained emotionless and I felt a pang of guilt in my chest. Maybe he was bad at expressing emotions? Ugh so what?

I refuse to search excuses for him in the middle of the fight, he's just evil. That's all. "You will not disrespect me by using my first name when you speak to me. Use sir if you can't use the proper language. How has grounding worked in your former house worked?"

"'Mom never grounded me"

"Wait, what? Then what she did when you did something wrong" Dan asked confused.

"I never did? Or maybe things that here I wrong wouldn't be wrong at mom's place"

"So what would she do if she learned you're at the nightclub?" He keep questioning.

"Nothing if I told her I'm with group of friends she wouldn't mind"

"And if you were alone?"

I shrugged my arms because it was very unlikely to happen scenario "she would scold me for putting myself in danger probably"

Dan shook his head amazed and Andrew sighted quietly.

"In other words you had no discipline"

Fuck you, Andrew.

"It was better that way" I said and regarded him with hateful expression.

"It was convenient that way. There's a difference" I didn't understood what he was trying to say so I furrowed my brows, convenient?

He looked my confused expression and sighted.

"Who do you think you are? She raised me alone"

"That was entirely her choice to leave, cut all contact with me and disappear. The one thing I regret is allowing Alice to make that choice. I should have stop her. But past cannot be changed. As for the future during grounding you're not allowed to use any electronic devices. Your phone, laptop, game consoles you give to Jacquline. If you need to use laptops for schoolwork you get permission from Jaqueline and you need to give it back after you finish doing whatever assignment you have. You can't go out with friends, from school you're going straight home. And if you keep arguing with me I will be extending your punishment.

Oh the next two weeks sounds lovely indeed. I thoughts sarcastically. I kept my mouth shut because screaming at him wouldn't do anything anyway.
_____________
Dan was sitting in front of his father's desk. Ellie already went to her room and they were now alone to discuss the consequences of Dan's action.

"I want you boys to set a good example for her" Andrew said after deciding that for Dan grounding will last a month.

"I know. I will be, it was a mistake" Dan said, properly chastised after an hour long lecture he received.

"Dad"

"Yes, son?"

"Why are you tracking Ellie's phone?"

Andrew looked at Dan for a longer moment he was silent and he looked as if he was wondering wether to let his son in for a secret.

"Because Ellie's life is in danger"

Dan eyes widened. He regarded his father face while trying to collect his thoughts.

"Are those the same people who went after mom?"

"Yes"

"Why her and not me or Max?"

Andrew's eyes darkened.

"It's not from the lack of trying. You are well protected. That's why the mob targeted someone outside of my household. Elisabeth's mother. Her connection with me was blurry it would be difficult to prove their involvement in the case from different state. The threat was clear after Elisabeth's mother its Elisabeth's turn. And although it's impossible to kidnap her from under my nose it's not that hard if my children aren't listening to me. I need you to mind her safety and your own when you make decision in the future"

"I'm sorry but if you just drop the case do you think it would stop?"

Dan asked confused, trying to make sense of it all.

Andrew sighted.

"I don't know, Dan. There are too many unknown variables. As you know our family was a target before I was a prosecutor, before the case started. If they target us again because of the case they can target us after I drop it. Until I'm done with them I will not find peace. I will not allow him to harm any more of the people I love, Ellie included"

"Dad"

"Yes?"

"I don't think Ellie knows that you care for her"

"What makes you say so?

"First week when we came back Ellie told Max he and she are just strangers living together. She's also most of the time spending in her bedroom I never once ate a dinner or lunch with her she shows up only at breakfast it really feels like she's trying not to bother us. As if we were roommates not family"

Andrew remained quiet for a moment trying to process the information he just received from his son.

"Thank you for telling me"

"Someone had to you're bad with children" Dan smirked playfully at him, despite being tired and worried after heavy conversation. He needed to end it on positive accent.

"I think I did a pretty good damn job at rising you, brat"

"That's not true I was born perfect"

Andrew's eyes flashed in rare display of amusement.

"On humility we still have to work on"
____________
Dear Readers,

No cliffhanger today but I hope you're still interested in what's going to happen in upcoming chapter. Let me know if you like this one. ❤️