9: the damage is done

Start from the beginning

His breath cought and he flinched when his sister placed her hand on his shoulder. She looked at him with understanding.

"S-sorry." Reki stuttered out, "it's gonna be fine. Everything is gonna be okay." He said as much for himself as for them.

His throat was strained from holding back tears and his chest tight from restraining hiccups. He took shallow and shaky breaths, trying to conceal his panic. His stomach was upset and his head was spinning. He felt like he was dying, every part of his body was shaking violently, his teeth clattering together as his jaw shook.

"Hey. We will be okay. I'll help out I promise, we'll make it work." His sister consoled, "we can talk to Langa and his mom and maybe they can help out." She said.

"Langa won't answer me." Reki said, "he keeps leaving me on read. Hes reading my messages but not responding." Reki sent him another text.

Delivered

He wasn't even there anymore.

"Maybe he's busy. Mom was really harsh maybe they are just taking a break. I'm sure he'll respond really soon." His sister said, "just leave him be for a little while. He'll get back to you."

Reki nodded slowly, let out a shaky breath, and texted one last message.

"Hey I don't know what I did wrong. I'm sorry for what my mom said, that was terrible of her and I wish she hadn't said it. I hope you are doing okay. Please text me back soon. I love you and miss you so much. See you soon <3"

•••

Read

Langa looked at the message, reading it while his pale blue eyes bounced from word to word. He was curled up under the covers in his bed, back facing Reki's abandoned mattress and covers.

He couldn't bring himself to text him back.

There was a knock on his door. He didn't want to answer, he didn't want to open his mouth to talk. His mom peeked her head in, "hey.. I ordered some pizza for us.." her eyes were puffy from crying, "are you okay?" She asked.

Langa hiccuped, tears streaming from the corners of his eyes, "I miss dad."

"Oh honey.." she said, sitting on the edge of the bed and pulling him into a hug. She had her time to cry, now it was time to be strong for Langa. He sobbed into her shoulder, "I just want him to come back. I don't wanna feel sad anymore."

She nodded, "I know bud. I know."

For a while they sat in a comfortable silence.

"Have you talked to Reki at all?" She asked, worried about him and his siblings despite how nasty his parents were.

Langa stayed silent.

"You haven't?" She asked, "why not?"

He just shrugged, "I don't know. I feel mad at him but I don't know why. I don't wanna talk to him. I think I'm angry about what his mom said to you but I don't know why I feel mad at him."

"Has he texted you?" She asked. Langa nodded.

"And you havent texted him back?" She asked. Langa shook his head.

"Langa." She said in an almost condescending tone, "let him know that if he needs anything we are here to give it to him. Also he forgot his pain medicine and extra bandages. At least give them to him tommorow at school."

Langa just sighed uncomfortably, "I don't wanna talk to him. It's making me mad how he's so worried about me not responding instead of taking care of himself." Langa's mom just nodded, "try talking to him. Talking to him again might help you."