CHAPTER 34 - REASON WITH

Start from the beginning

She flipped open the menu and glanced at it but as if sensing his gaze on her, she raised her lashes to look at him. "Hello" she whispered sweetly and gave a friendly wave.

Unused to the kindness and not trusting it, he turned away to hide his face.

That's when she looked at him. Properly looked at his torn, shabby clothes and scruffy, worn-out shoes.

"Here you go" Alfred extended an envelope towards Eleni, who was still watching him with furrowed brows. Alfred followed her gaze and compressed his lips.

"You are still here?" Alfred snapped and jumping in panic, he turned to look at the big man frowning at him. "I asked you to leave right? Give an inch and they'll take a mile" Alfred muttered in anger and then holding him by his arm, he began dragging him towards the door.

The bread slipped from his shaky fingers and when he tried to reach for it on the floor, Alfred's grip on his arm tightened and he was harshly pulled back.

"Alfred! Wait! What are you doing?" Eleni frowned at the bakery owner.

"Hey, leave the kid alone!" an elderly lady shouted at the man.

"Don't worry. I know this kid. He is from the slums and he comes here for food every day. I will get rid of him" Alfred said as he opened the door.

"Stop!" Eleni shouted at the same time the other lady and her son threatened to call the police.

At the mention of the word police, he panicked, and freeing himself from Alfred's grip, he shoved open the door and ran like the hellhounds were behind him. He had been told by his parents that police were bad people and they would take him away and lock him up if they caught him.

He heard footsteps from behind him and that made him increase his speed. The soles of his shoes gave away at that moment and he stumbled before dropping to the ground, injuring his knees and elbows.

"Theos! Are you alright?" Eleni rushed towards him and then helped him sit on the ground. Crouching in front of him, she inspected his arm and knees and grimaced. Tears clouded his eyes from the pain and when she noticed it, she wrapped an arm around his shoulders and pulled him close for a hug.

He fought her and slapped her hand away, which made her sigh.

"I am sorry you lost your food" Eleni began softly, blue eyes apologetic. He did not reply, instead stared at his shoes that no longer seemed useful.

He had said the same to his mother the last time but she refused to buy him a new one, saying she had to buy more sugar. There had been lots of sugar packets in his home, yet it did not seem to satisfy his parents for they wanted more, and sometimes, they even sent him to get one for them with a warning not to be found by the police.

"I am sorry about your shoes too" Eleni added and then continued, "Let me make it up to you. I can get you a new shoe and buy you something to eat."

The offer was tempting for a ten-year-old but he was still hesitant to trust her. "I promise I will not touch you. We will go anywhere you want. Okay?" she asked gently.

"You will not call the police?" he asked her doubtfully and she blinked, startled by his question.

For a few seconds, she just stared at him with worry, before clearing her throat. "Uh... no! I will not call the police" she breathed out. "I promise" she smiled and that reassured him.

"Okay," he said and then stood up and began dragging his feet.

"Why don't we get rid of that shoe first?" Eleni suggested and then kneeling before him, she undid the lace and removed his shoes.