Chapter 10: Change

<Song: Feeling Good by Muse>

(Serenity's POV)

2 months later

School. Seven Crappy Hours of Our Lives. That what I think about. Just another place to ruin my live. The homework, the teachers and the bullies. I just hate it. But if I want a job and a good future then I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Victoria moved just a little while ago so she's at a different school. Great. Now I have no friends except for Mason but he doesn't even go to the same school. Hopefully I can make a new friend or two. I walk inside the building trying to find my first class. My schedule said room 230 so I head up the stairs and found the room. I open the door and find no one here yet. Strange. It's ten till eight and no one's here. The teacher at the back of the room looked up from his computer and asks,

"Can I help you?"

"Yes I'm here for the Spanish class but I guess no one's here yet."

He looked at me like I was a lost puppy. "Your class is 231, the students and the teacher are there. You must have looked at your schedule wrong."

Opps. I looked at my schedule at it said Spanish Room 230. Well would you look at that. They messed up the room numbers. Now that I think about it, my whole schedule is messed up.

Crap.

The bell rings right as I walk into the right class room. Everyone looked at me and went back to what they were doing. I walk over to a desk in the back of the room and sit down.

"Hola! My name is Señorita Colette! Señorita means a woman who isn't married in Spanish!"

This is going to be a long day.

*   *   *

After class we have ten minutes to just chill and buy snacks before our next class. Since I have no friends I just lean against the wall and wait for my next class...Geometry. Don't get me wrong I love math but I don't like graphing and the shapes. Ugh. Two girls approach me and one of them said,

"Are you Serenity Adams?"

I looked at them like they were aliens or something cause no one ever talks to me.

"Yeah. That's me."

"Cool my name's Emily and that's my sister Haley!"

Cool. Sisters. I wonder if they're twins.

"Is something paying you to talk to me?"

Emily and Haley glanced at each other and started laughing.

"What? Of course not. We just think you're interesting." Wow. That's a first. Or second if you count Mason. Hopefully they won't leave me. Another girl comes up to me and says,

"Hi. My name's Caitlyn and I assuming that you're Serenity Adams?" THREE PEOPLE JUST SAID HI. I'M FREAKING OUT HERE! Maybe this is going to be a good year.

"Yup. I'm Serenity."

"Cool we should all hang out today. You know, stick together."

Emily and Haley said at the same time,

"Yeah sure. That sounds like a plan." They looked at each other and laughed. I stared to laugh and so did Catherine. The bell rung and we all headed to our next class. Turns out we all have the same schedule. Coincidence? I think not. Well yeah it kinda is. Oh never mind.

The thing is I've never had this much confidence in a long time. All thanks to them. Like seriously, THANK YOU!! Geometry was fun for the first time. We had this snowball fight with graph paper that we each wrote on with some things about us and then we had to pick up one after the fight and guess who it was.

The next class was fun. We all had this discussion about theology and when I mean we I mean everyone but me. I just listened and daydreamed. Lunch finally came and we claimed our table. I like to think of it as the "Other Cool Table That All the Other Kids Forgot About" table. We had tacos and rice. It sounds pretty good but in reality it was a stale corn tortilla with meat and cheese with a side of cold rice. Great.

At least I had the good company. Turns out Emily and Haley are twins. How about that? Caitlyn has an older brother in the student government I think. I don't pay attention in History. I probably should. I haven't run into Davis today. In fact, I haven't seen him. Hopefully he switched schools. Or he forgot that there was school. But I don't care about that now. Ever since the doctors gave that medicine I've never felt better. The drugs are probably getting to me. Maybe this is all a dream. Maybe it's because I have some new friends. If I never ran outside, if Mason never found me, if I never went to the hospital, I wouldn't be this happy.

*    *   *

The first day of school concluded and I am utterly exhausted. I actually live nearby the school so I can ride my bike or walk, if I want to. Well, make that, I am required to find my own way to school because dad doesn't want to drive me. He doesn't really care about me. But I know how to survive that. I get home, unlock the door and ascertain dad isn't here. Good, some well-deserved peace after a long day.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any classes with Marcus this year. That felt peculiar not seeing him. I expect he had a good day as well and I'm anxious to hear all about it. I go up to my room and commence on some homework for the next day. I might as well launch into it and start getting in the habit of studying early on in the year. My phone starts ringing and I look at my phone to see who's calling me, my heart begins to race. It's Mason. Despite the fact that it has been quite a while since he has last spoken to me. We still hang out on rare occasions but he has been busy with his family. Should I answer it? What will he say? He's been slightly distant lately...

"Hello?"

"Hey Serenity. We need to talk."