Chapter 5: Everything's Alright

(Mason's POV)

I was walking to the hospital with Serenity this fine afternoon. She was looking at the ground, occasionally stumbling over little rocks or sticks.

"Are you sure you okay?" I asked.

I have never actually seen someone so...out of it. I could tell that she was deep in thought.

"Um...no, not really," she said quietly.

She looked embarrassed about this. I hope she is okay. She looked like she has been though a lot.

"How can I help you?" I asked her nicely.

Even though we just meet I don't want to just leave her. I feel like I have to protect her. She looked like see has been through a lot. I also noticed a small bruise behind her ear. She was trying to hide it but not well enough.

She hesitated before answering, almost in a whisper, "I don't think you can. No one can help me."

I doubt that, I thought.

"When was the last time you've been to a hospital?" I asked, thinking of what or should I say whom did this to her.

"I think the last time that I have been there is because s-some...I-I broke m-my arm. Yep. I broke my arm. T-that's it." She stuttered.

"Are you sure that's the reason?"

"I-I ugh. Fine. That's not reason," she said, sighing in defeat.

"Well? Are you going to tell me?" I asked.

I'm getting really confused now. Did she do this for self-harm or did someone brutally beat her.

"I will tell you but not now. I don't feel comfortable telling you right now. Sorry," she said, still not looking at me.

"Oh no. It's not your fault. I was the one who was asking you personal questions. I'm the one that should be sorry."

She stopped walking and grabbed my hand; tightly. I saw where she was looking. It was the hospital.

"It's okay, Serenity. I'm right here." I said, trying to cheer her up.

She looked up at me and smiled. We got to the doors and walked in. I told the lady at the desk that she needs a checkup. She told us to wait over by the tables behind us. We sat down and waited for about ten minutes until a nurse called her name. We followed the nurse into a room with the bed and a chair. I sat down in the chair while Serenity sat on the bed.

The doctor came in and said that his name was Dr. George. He did some checkups on her and gave her some shots. After he was done he told us to wait a little bit while he gets the test results.

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked Serenity.

She nodded. I could tell that she didn't want to talk right now. She seemed worried, but I wish I knew what exactly. I was about to say something but the doctor came back in.

"Miss Adams. I just got the test results back and it doesn't look good."

I saw her face drop.

"I'm sorry to say this but since in your past you had depression you have a rare unknown disease that we don't even know the name for. I'm sorry but if you don't get surgery soon, the disease will get worse to the point of you having to be in an asylum."