Chapter 10: A Sister's Betrayal

"What do you think you're doing? The maids said you ran away. Is that the way a lady should act?" her mother scolded Reimi. "Last time, you were reading books for men. I let it slip away but now, Reimi, I had enough. I shall forbid you from entering the library."

"Mother, you can punish me, you may lock me in my room or starve me, but...please, let me continue studying in the library," she pleaded. She loved staying there. It's peaceful and quiet. She grew up in there.

"Your books will be sent to your room. Do not complain. This is the consequence of your own action."

"You are only doing this to keep the family's image, right?" she asked.

"What did you just say?! Consider yourself lucky that you are born as a Fujiwara."

'Lucky? Being a Fujiwara feels worse than a prisoner,' she wanted to tell her those but she can't. She doesn't want to lengthen this conversation because no matter what, her mother would be always right.

"I apologize, Mother." She calmly went to her room afterwards.

She sat in front of her table. It seems like they have brought the books already and arranged it in a shelf beside the table. She was examining them when she saw an unfamiliar scroll. She stood up and took it.

She chuckled upon reading its content. It's all about the cursed spirits. Apparently, they manifest from a cursed energy that is the result of negative emotions from humans. Just like what she thought, a curse must be exorcised using a curse.

Not all people can see them and those who can are considered as a sorcerer. But for a sorcerer to be able to exorcise a spirit, he/she must have high level of cursed energy and has the ability to use cursed techniques.

However, it does not apply to every sorcerer. There are some who cannot use techniques and doesn't possess the ability to control cursed energy. Cursed Tools are used to support them that are imbued with curse.

Then, the sword that Hideyoshi gave her is a cursed tool. She will be able to eliminate the spirit on her sister's shoulder finally.

She waited for the night to come. She walked towards the cabinet where she hid the weapon. She held it tightly and made her way towards her little sister's room. It was dark, she was certain that no one will see her. But somehow, she felt that something is not right.

She silently entered Asukabe's room. She found her sister sleeping peacefully. But the cursed spirit attached to her was wide awake.

She drew out the sword and quietly crawled towards her bed. She gulped and slashed the cursed spirits. Her eyes widened when the pillow was torn, too. Its sound awaken her sister.

"Sister, is that-AAAAHHHHH!" she screamed that alarmed Reimi.

"Hey, calm down, Asukabe," she tried to calm her down but it was useless.

"No, I won't. Help!" her sister pleaded for help.

"I won't hurt you."

"You have been caught in act."

"I only did it because there was a cursed spirit that's been hanging to you all this time!"

"Liar!"

"What's happening here?" Reimi froze upon hearing her parents' voices. They lit the lights. "Reimi, what are you doing here? Is that a sword that you were holding?"

"I, I only-"

"Mother, Father, she tried to kill me! My own sister almost ended my life! If only I didn't dodge, my life is already over." Reimi's mouth hung open as she watch her sister act hysterically.

"No, please hear me-"

"Maybe she was afraid that I'll take her chance to be Shomo-hiko's consort. She saw me as a threat on that position." She stared at her sister with disbelief. How can she say that? "Mother, I am scared. She failed this time so she might try to kill me again!"

"But I will never do that!" Reimi couldn't take it anymore and raised her voice. "How could you say that, Asukabe? I promised that I will never leave you and now you are accusing me that I wanted to eliminate you because of that petty reason?"

"Reimi, lower your voice."

"No, I won't!" she just raised it more. "All this time, I only agreed on being Shomo-hiko's wife for the sake of this family. I do not care about the power, all I cared about is Asukabe and you, Mother and Father. You should have known that I will never lay my hands on her."

"You just did, sister."

"That was because I wanted to help you."

"Help me what?"

"There was a cursed spi-"

"Here you go again, spitting nonsense. Are you having hallucinations again?"

"You, you don't understand."

"Because I am-we are not as crazy as you." Her sister's words left her speechless. Does she really think she was crazy?

The sword fell to the floor along with her knees.

"Apologize to your sister first and meet us in your room. We will be confiscating your sword," her father uttered. She didn't have the energy to reply so she let them did as they pleased.

When they left, she blankly stared at her sister.

"Since when...did you start to hate me?" she asked.

"Always," her sister answered coldly.

"But we were in good terms when we were younger."

"I was still unaware of the things and chances you have taken away from me back then."

"I never took anything from you."

"No, you took everything from me!" Reimi gulped. She have always felt that it's what her sister have thought. Hearing it from her, hurts her more. "If only you weren't born, then I'll be on your place!"

"Then, if I stepped down and ask our parent to let you marry Shomo-hiko instead, will you be happy?" Her sister laughed maniacally.

"Do you really love me that much? Why?"

"Because you are my sister."

"In this period and place, blood doesn't matter. It isn't important. What people value the most is power."

"I understand. If power is what you want, then I'll let you have it," Reimi spoke before leaving the room.

She let out a long sigh and gulped before entering her room.

"Mother, Father, I understand what I did was wrong. No matter what, a child raising her voice to her parents is wrong. I apologize for that." She stopped for a while.

"One more thing, it is true that I tried to kill Asukabe because I saw her as a threat to my position for the royal consort. I realized the consequences of my wrong actions and if I have to be replaced, I understand that, too. However, please allow my little sister to prove herself."

"You didn't mean to harm your sister, right?" Reimi was surprised when she heard her mother said that. "If you're doing this for her, don't. You are our treasure. No one will be able to surpass you, not even Asukabe."

"But, Mother, I tried to kill her."

"Why are you saying that now? You were pleading your innocence a while ago so why claim that you're guilty now? Don't play with me, Reimi. Do you think your relationship with Asukabe will go back on what it used to once she became the consort? No."

"Then you leave me no choice," she eyed them sharply.