And the Truth Shall Set You Free

*~*Emma*~*

Bucky grabbed Steve and told him to meet us at the apartment. Bucky drove my car, getting used to driving in Anaheim. We got upstairs and I sat on the couch. We hadn't really said much since the arena.

"You want something to drink, doll?" Bucky asked.

"Umm, a beer is fine."

"Sure." He got up to grab a couple of beers. He opened and handed me one and left another on the table for Steve, I guess. He opened his own and then sat next to me. He held my hand. It felt good, like a blanket, giving me some comfort.

"I know you must have a lot of questions and I promise after I explain, if you still have any, I'll answer. It's just that I wanted to explain this once and..." Bucky cut my rambling off with a kiss. It was soft, sweet and quick.

"Emma, you tell us what you want. No pressure." He smiled softly.

"Ok." I looked into his blue eyes and realized that they were more a stormy blue gray. They were gorgeous. I went to kiss him when the door opened, and I pulled back. In came Steve and to my surprise, Ryan.

"Ry? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I bumped into Steve in the parking lot, and he said he need to get here because you needed to talk to him and Barnes. I figured you might need some support."

I sighed and gave him a look. "You know Paige is going to kick your ass."

"I already called her, Em. I told her that you ran into Alex."

"I'll call her in the morning." I turned to look at the guys. "Sorry I have to dump this on you guys but the whole team knows, and the press might ask tomorrow." I took a long drink of my beer.

"Alex and I used to date. For about two years. He, uh, asked me to marry him right before we found out that he was being traded. We thought, well I thought, that we could make it work long distance. But he asked me to leave everything and go to Boston and I couldn't. We met up with the team during a road trip to catch up since he had the day off and he got drunk."

I took a moment because it was hard to relive that day. Bucky took my hand again and squeezed. "Doll, only what you want to tell us, ok?"

I smiled a watery smile to him. "I know." I took a deep breath. "He got drunk and started saying that I wanted to have him traded so I could get rid of him. That I never really wanted to get married. That I was happy that he was gone so I could ... I could..." I couldn't finish the sentence. Ryan decided to step in.

"So that she could sleep around is what he said. He accused me of having an affair with her. Threaten to tell Paige that we were." He saw that Bucky's eyes got big. "But we weren't and never had. I've known Emma since she was a kid. She's like my sister. I'll do anything to protect her. But Alex, he was on one. Basically, said they were done and asked for the ring back. Proudest moment of my life was when she threw it back at him and told him to never come back. She deserves better than that asshat."

Steve cleared his throat. "This is Alex Pierce, right?"

"Yeah," I finally spoke up. "That's where Emmalina comes from. It was his nickname for me."

Steve chuckled. "Now I understand the murder glare you gave Cap here. And why Alex tripped Bucky."

"What do you mean, punk?" Bucky asked.

"I was watching during warmups, you and Emma, exchanging faces and I'm pretty sure Pierce saw you guys. He had been gunning for you all game, but you were just quicker, I guess. He missed you and hit Silfverberg."

That was all I needed to hear before the tears fell.

*~*Bucky*~*

As Steve was saying the words, I saw the tears form in her eyes and she started to cry. I wrapped my arms around her to let her cry. Ryan looked at us with a mix of sympathy and curiosity. I knew he wanted to speak to me about this, but I would leave it for later.

After a minute, Emma lifter her head and looked at Ryan. "He told me I would regret it." A fresh set of tears flooded her face and she leaned back into me.

"Em, this isn't your fault. Alex's got issues." Ryan kneeled in front of her. "He should have talked to you about moving and everything before he left so you had time to considered. He demanded too much of you Emma. He wanted to use your status to help his career."

"What?" Emma lifted her head, fury coming into his eyes.

I could see that Ryan knew he said too much and couldn't take it back now. He looked down and sighed. "Alex told us one night at a bar that he was with you so you could help with his career. I'm sorry Em. I would have told you sooner, but you were so happy. When you guys got engaged, I figured that there was no need."

She got up and walked over to the window and I could see she was trying to reign in her anger. Deciding to give her a minute, I pulled Ryan aside. "Cap, I know you have some questions..." I started.

"No, Barnes, look, you obviously like her and you've been sweet to her. I know it's only been a couple of days, just take it slow with her, ok? She doesn't need another broken heart when she was just fixing the last one."

"I can do that, Cap. I just want to get to know her. I told her that I would wait until she's ready. I'm doing this at her pace."

"Thanks Barnes. I appreciate it."

"If you two are done discussing me, we have some things to finish discussing Getz." Emma still hadn't turned around, but I could see that she was ready to keep talking. We sat back down, and I took another drink.

"Why would the press ask anything, Emma?" Steve asked.

Emma actually chuckled at that and spun around. "Because this is LA, Steve. Sports figures are treated like celebrities here. Not as bad but it happens. Since I'm a Niedermeyer, when I do public events, I do get more attention. And if I'm hanging out with my new friends and they happen to be extremely handsome, the press will take more of an interest. Alex's departure was news here in California. It might come up. I didn't want to blindside you guys."

Emma rubbed her face a little and said, "I need a stiffer drink."

"Watcha need Emma? I think you stocked our liquor cabinet as well," I teased.

"Scotch, neat." Scotch girl, I liked it.

I got up to grab it and asked Ryan, "You want something, Cap?"

"Nah, I should head home to Paige and the kids. Em, call me if you need me but I think you are in good hands."

"Thanks Ry. I think so too." She gave me a wink as I handed her a glass.

"God, Em, you're too much sometimes." He whispered something to her, and she blushed. He kissed her forehead. "See you later, squirt."

"I'm going to kill Clint for that nickname," she said as she rolled her eyes. Ryan just laughed, shook our hands and was out the door.