Chapter 4 Jack Scott.

I ENJOY GOING TO NOISY PLACES WITH MY FATHER. It helps with the awkward silence between us. A blue floral spaghetti-strapped maxi dress, a denim jacket, and white sneakers were my go-to choices. My hair was straightened and fell just below my shoulders. I sat down shortly after noon and ordered a coffee. It was soon quarter to one. Late. I said to myself, of course, he is. I spent my time either on my phone or watching the people around me.

"Will you be staying longer?" A waitress asked me.

I forgot people make reservations in popular spots like this, I smiled at the waitress, who seemed genuinely sad for me. Even I felt sorry for myself! As I walked out of the restaurant, I tried not to make eye contact with anyone. Outside, I checked my phone, hoping for a text apologizing for being late. Or I'm sorry, but I won't be able to come. Nothing. I tried calling him.

'Hello, this is Jack Scott. After the beep, leave a message. Beeeep. That was just me. Keep your ears open for the real beep.'

I looked up to see Owen, dressed in dark jeans and a black sweater, approaching me. Finally, he's not in a suit! He was with a man dressed in a black leather jacket. And two stunning girls.

"Hey, how are you?" Owen asked. "Go ahead. I'll come now." Owen motioned for his friends to go inside. "You okay? What's wrong?" He continued.

I explained why I was leaving the restaurant so abruptly.

"And he's not picking up the phone? Maybe something happened to him."
"No. Nothing happened to him." I said.

I was happy to see Owen. But it makes me feel sick to think he could be here on a double date. I felt as if I was gulping down tears.

"Hey. This is your father's inadequacy. It's not because of you." Owen said.
"Yeah," I reply.

He smiled.

"Owen...?" The girl he came with asked as she stood by the door in her skinny jeans and white top. I felt insecure all of a sudden.
"We about to place our order?" She went on.
"Get anything for me." He said.
The girl stood by the door, staring at me, then at Owen, and back at me.
"Could you give us a minute? Damn." He said to her.
As she returned inside, the door slammed shut behind her.
"Are you seeing her?" I suddenly asked with immediate regret.
"No. Why?" He asked, frowning.

I shook my head to avoid his question. Dammit, why did I ask him that? He's a client!

"Sweetheart! Didn't we say 2 p.m.?" I was shocked at the sound of my father's voice.
"No. 12," I replied.
"Oh." My father turned to face Owen, who was glaring at him.
"Do you want to go in?" My father went on.
"They had to ask me to leave after waiting for you like an idiot."
"Right. Sorry about that, dear. Then let's go somewhere else. It's all on me!" He looked at Owen after removing his car key from his jacket.
"What gives you such a glum expression, and why are you staring at me, bud?" Dad asked Owen. Then he turned to me. "Why is he looking at me?"
"Because you're two hours late and have zero good excuses?" Owen's directness with my father surprised me.
"Oh wow, excellent! You have my blessing, young man." My father clapped his hands, and Owen gazed at me.
"Do you honestly believe I'd have lunch with you now as if nothing happened? Really, dad?"
"I lost track of time."

I hate people who say things like that!

"No. You didn't seem to mind that you were simply wasting MY time."
"Meg, I made a mistake! A blunder! Do you have to do this in front of him right now?"

He hated the idea that I had support. When there were no witnesses, his manipulation worked perfectly.

"What is your problem, bud?" He asked Owen, again. "My name is Jack, we just met a minute ago, so let's get this party started again, shall we?" He said while reaching out his hand to Owen, Owen folded his arms and took a step back.

I took a big breath and exhaled slowly.

"I'm not joining you for lunch," I said.
"Suit yourself. Let me know when you've calmed down."
"What's the sense in pretending when you're so damn selfish? All I ever get out of this is disappointment."
"Your mother is obviously to blame for your overreacting."
"Do you think it's an insult to compare me to my mother?"

Those who believe that family comes first are mistaken. Blood is not thicker than water. Family can be the most damaging thing in your life at times.

"I'm quite aware that I was a mistake. You didn't want me. Hillary was meant to be the only kid. When you left us, I was a baby! A baby! Mom had to rebuild not just her own life but also the lives of her two children! You were the mistake. Not me; I'm walking away from you now."

Jack's gaze flowed back and forth between me and Owen.

"It's amazing what I have to put up with. Meg, it's all right. In there, I'm going to have a beer. You two are welcome to join me." Jack proceeded to the restaurant.

Owen's hand was instantly around my waist. He hugged me. All of my worries vanished. I felt like I could breathe for the first time in my life. I felt safe in his arms. But terrified.

"That couldn't have been easy," Owen said to me. I inhaled his warm jersey and regained control of myself.
"Thank you for taking care of me while I was sick, Owen."
"No problems. Would you like me to come with you?"
"No, no, thank you. I'm fine. I'm going to be fine." Wiping my tears away and gazing down, I said.
"Okay." Owen kissed me on the cheek. It felt like that split second lasted a lifetime, feeling his soft lips on my warm face.

I walked away and got into my car.
In my pocket, I felt my phone vibrate.

Jack Scott:

Where have you gone off to?
Dad.

Another text came through not long after that:

If you're a mistake. Then you're the best one ever made. And I'm proud to know you.

Owen.