Chapter iii. Fire On Dorothy Street

Disclaimer: All characters belong to J.K. Rowling. Except the OC's of course.

***

"There's a room where the light won't find you."
Lorde, Everybody Wants To Rule The World

***

Chapter iii. Fire On Dorothy Street

***

She found nothing in the papers.

There was nothing about Dorothy Street, which meant that there was no fire.

Her heart sank to her stomach.

Why would her mother lie about the fire then?

One that apparently burned their house to the ground.

Hermione rubbed her temples before letting her head fall into the palms of her hand.

This was Britain wasn't it, surely such a disaster would have been broadcasted for all to gobble up.

But papers didn't lie, neither did books...but people could.

However Hermione couldn't bear the thought of her own mother lying to her.

What reason would she have to lie?

The bushy haired girl leapt to her feet, shuffling the papers together and placing them on the shelves, her mind elsewhere.

Hermione was determined as she decided that newspapers could lie and twist your mind. She knew that because of Rita Skeeter. Books could leave things out. Books didn't know everything. She knew that because Tom Marvolo Riddle was Lord Voldermort.

Maybe they didn't record it and maybe her mother just got the year wrong.

Yes, that was it.

She left the library with the intention of going home.

***

Instead her feet led her to Dorothy Street.

Hermione pulled up the dark collar of her peacoat as she trudged through the dreary streets of Dorothy.

Her eyes scanned the white pickett fences and rose gardens that lined alongside the brick pavements. The monotonous row of houses was a stark contrast to Hampstead where originality was a competition.

She paused for a second, as she tore her eyes from the monotony and stared down the road.

Her mouth turned down into a scowl as she berated the fact that she didn't know what number house they used to live.

The only thing she did know of the house, was that it was blue and there were quite a few of those where she stood.

She rolled her shoulders back and jutted out her chin, marching towards the first house that caught her eye. A white three story house with a silver car parked in the driveway.

She walked up the steps and rang the doorbell.

She heard the tumbling of feet and a large thump from behind the door, before it swung open to reveal a young face.

"Hello." Hermione greeted the stranger.

"Hello...could I help you with something?" They asked wearily.

"Yes." She quipped, "Do you happen to know of a family who lived on this street, called the Grangers?"

She went from house to house asking about the Grangers and where they had lived.