27) Back to the Past

📍New York City, 2012

Francesca looked over her hands and fingers to make sure all had arrived safely on the journey.

"All right we all have our assignments. Two stones uptown one stone downtown. Stay low, keep an eye on the block" Steve informed the group. Suddenly the 2012 Hulk comes running down the street, smashing a car to pieces. "Maybe smash a few things" Steve instructed.

Bruce headed down town putting on the lamest act of being angry and smashing things. The rest of the group headed uptown with Francesca guarding the lobby. She tried to stay unrecognized, her head hanging low.

"Guess, they- we- the present Avengers are here in the lobby" Francesca muttered into the mic. She watched as her brother, Thor and Loki exited the elevator.

"Ant is in position. I'm in lobby as well. Cap how you doing?" Tony asked.

"Got the scepter, heading your way" Steve informed the group. Francesca stood back near the door waiting for Tony to pass her the briefcase with the tesseract.

"Pissant now! They're going to get away" Tony said urging Scott to pull the plug. Francesca watched as her present day brother fell to the floor. Tony rushed in snatching the briefcase of the floor.

"Thank you" Francesca mumbled taking it in her hand she pivoted on the heel of her foot passing by a door which swung open knocking her out cold.

Tony rushed over to his sister forgetting all about the tesseract in those few seconds.

"Tony? What happened?" Steve asked. Tony turned back around ready to collect the tesseract when he noticed both the tesseract and Loki was gone.

"We have a problem. Meet in the alleyway" Tony instructed the others. He lifted Francesca off the floor dragging her out of the building, placing her inside of the beat up old car abandoned in the alley. Scott soon joined them and the three waited for Steve.

As they waited Francesca began to come to.

"What happened?" She asked placing a hand to her head which immediately began to throb from the slightest amount of pressure.

"You got knocked out by present Hulk" Tony said sighing after his statement.

"We got the stone right? Tell me I didn't fail" Francesca asked looking at Tony and Scott who didn't seem too amused.

"I failed. I should have grabbed it before Loki-"

"Loki? Oh my- I'm so stupid. This is why I shouldn't have-"

"Enough. It was my fault. I shouldn't have lost focus on the task" Tony muttered. Suddenly Steve jumps down from the fire escape with the scepter in hand.

"I got it" Tony said all bug-eyed. He jumped out of the car. "There's another way to retake the tesseract and acquire new particles" continued slamming the driver's door. "Little stroll down memory lane. Military instillation. Garden State" Tony said focusing on Steve. Francesca was trying to understand what was in New Jersey that would lead the two to be able to acquire both items.

"When we're they both there?" Steve asked not sure if he was able to trust Tony.

"They were there at a time... I have a vaguely exact time"

"How vague?" Steve asked.

"What are you taking about? Where are we going?" Scott asked rambling on questions despite the conversation not including him.

"I know for a fact they were there-"

"Who's they? What are we doing?" Scott continued to ask. Francesca nudged him in his side to shut up.

"-and I know I know" Tony said as his final argument. Steve looked like he was pondering on what Tony said. It was more of a matter of trusting then believing him.

"So what's going on?" Francesca asked.

"Looks like we are improvising. Francesca take the scepter back to the compound. Scott go with her"

"Tony" Francesca weakly muttered. "If you see him-"

"I know. Suit up" Tony said. The two whispered amongst themselves about when they were going back. Francesca and Scott stood there watching the two disappear.

"You ready?" Francesca asked. Scott and her clicked their watches and the two were swept back into the quantum realm with the rest before landing back at the compound.

"Did you do it?" Francesca asked Tony. He shook his head that they were successful.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Banner asked. Everyone immediately turned to see Clint looking devastated. He paused for a minute and everyone took that moment of silence as an indicator the worst had happened.

Tony and Francesca headed to the lab to put together the glove and the stones while the rest of the group went outside to talk. It was clear they needed space to discuss what had happened to Natasha.

A few minutes later the group came back just as Tony and Francesca finished up.

"It's good to go" Tony said handing the glove to Banner who looked it over.

"The question is who's going to snap their fingers?" The raccoon asked. Thor immediately rushed over wanting to repent his mistakes and finally do right.

"Me! I'll do it" Thor said walking over briskly. Steve, Tony and Clint rushed over stopping him from making an irrational decision.

"Thor just wait. We haven't decided yet who's going to snap their fingers" Steve muttered.

"It's not just that there's enough energy to light up a continent coursing through it right now. Your in no condition" Tony said.

"Do you know what is coursing through my veins?" Thor asked.

"Cheese wiz?" Rhodey answered. Francesca chuckled for a quick second before gaining her composure again.

"It's got to be me. You saw what those stones did to Thanos. Almost killed him. Not many could survive. It's like I was made for this. Let's do it!" Banner said. Everyone geared up bracing themselves from the powerful gamma radiation that would expel from the snap.

Francesca stood behind Steve who used his shield to block the both of them.

"Everyone comes home" Banner muttered as he slipped on the glove. He yelled in pain as he snapped his fingers, falling to the ground after he was done.

Clint kicked the glove away while Tony sprayed down Bruce's injured arm. Francesca looked around to find Scott marveling at the window and Clint on the phone with his wife.

"It worked" Francesca whispered as she hugged Tony. Before anyone could take cover a missile was fired at them. She tumbled down into the ground, water quickly rising. She rushed up and spotted the glove. She grabbed it before looking for a way out.

She rushed through the water stumbling upon Clint. The two slowly climbing through the pipes when a noise from behind caused them to panic. Clint raised his finger to his lips, signaling for Francesca to be quiet. He grabbed an arrow and shot it down the pipe.

"Run!" Clint yelled. The two sprinted down the pipe.