25) The Phone Call

Francesca had arrived home after grabbing Adelina from school and stopping out for dinner

Francesca had arrived home after grabbing Adelina from school and stopping out for dinner. The rest of the group went to meet up with Banner but Francesca had explained she wasn't going to help them pursue it. She knew that without Tony, it was a lost cause.

"Go wash your hands and then we can have a juice pop before bed" Francesca said ushering the child into the apartment. Adelina ran to the bathroom to wash her hands before coming back out to the kitchen. Francesca dug around the freezer handing on to her daughter and one for herself. The two sat on the couch watching a kid's show.

The two were quiet watching the tv when Adelina asked her mother a question.

"Mom?"

"Huh?" Francesca asked looking at her daughter as she ate the last of the popsicle.

"Who were those people?" Adelina asked referring to this morning's surprise guest.

"Oh. They were old friends of mine. They knew your dad too" Francesca explained.

"Really?" Adelina excitedly asked at the sound of her father.

"Yeah. Steve, was dad's childhood friend growing up. They use to go to school together, hang out on the weekends. Get into a lot of trouble - which is not good" Francesca said quickly covering up her story. "Your dad and Steve always had each other's backs"

Adelina quickly turned back to the television. Francesca was daydreaming of Bucky.

Suddenly the phone rang and Francesca jumped up from the couch, out of her daze, answering it.

"Hello?" She answered.

"I figured it out"

"Tony?" Francesca questioned. She was completely shocked to hear her brother on the other line.

"I figured out time travel" Tony continued. "I'm contemplating throwing it in the bottom of the lake and never touching it again. Just called to let you know I did-"

"Tony, I want it. Let me have it. You can live with Pepper and Morgan and forget all about it. Please! I need to know I didn't fail everyone in my life, I can't fail him" Francesca said holding back tears. There was a long silent pause.

"Fine. Come for it in the morning"

"Tony? One last question. Will you take care of her if it fails?" Francesca asked referring to Adelina. "You've done wonders with Morgan. I trust you"

"I'll see you two in the morning" Tony said hanging up the phone. Francesca ended the call and happily shedded a couple of tears before wiping them away and joining Adelina back on the couch.
———

The next morning Francesca drove with Adelina to the lake house. When she pulled up she saw Tony, Pepper and Morgan standing on the porch. She got out of the car carrying Adelina on her hip.

"It's great seeing you" Pepper said grabbing her in a hug.

"Look I appreciate it. I just can't live thinking-"

"I'm coming with you" Tony said looking at Pepper who had a weak smile on her face. Francesca could tell she was trying to be supportive while also holding back tears.

"Tony-"

"Don't change my mind. I'm driving" Tony said unlocking his car. Francesca kissed Adelina on the cheek, giving her a big smooch and hug before putting her down. She quickly walked to the car, standing at the door, looking at Adelina once more before getting inside. Tony let out a deep breath before pulling away.
———
Francesca and Tony arrived on the campus, Tony speeding down the street.

"Slow down" Francesca urged him as he pulled up the car next to Steve. He rolled down the window asking "why the long face? Let me guess. He turned into a baby"

"Among other things yeah. What are you doing here?" Steve asked. Francesca stepped out of the car.

"It's the EPR paradox. Instead of pushing Lang through time, you've might have wound up pushing time through Lang" Francesca said as Tony got out of the car.

"Someone could have cautioned you against it"

"You did" Steve said with a small smile. Francesca walked around the car to stand next to Tony.

"Oh did I? Thank god I'm here. Regardless I fixed it. A fully functioning time space GPS. I just want peace. Turns out resentment is corrosive and I hate it"

"Me too"

"We got a shot at getting these stones but I have to tell you me priorities. Bring back what we lost, but keep what I found, at all cost. And maybe not die trying would be nice"

"Sounds like a deal" Steve said shaking Tony's hand. Tony walked over to the trunk of his car pulling out Cap's new shield he had made. The three headed inside to meet with the others.