chapter 4

She snuggled deeper into the warmth, hugging the soft, warm, cozy material closer to her body, as she dug her head into the fluffy object under her head. Despite the rough surface that lay underneath her, the warmth of the cloth thrown above her and the cloud of softness beneath her head were just enough to bring her the best of dreams.

The sun extended its arms through the curtains peeking at the little sleeping beauty as the smell of fresh cooked waffles danced around in the air. Something tickled the angels nose making her shift in her sleep. "5 more minutes, Adam" she muttered still engulfed in the arms of sleep.

But a good moment never lasts. Not for an orphan living on the streets anyway.

The sound of car tires zooming ahead was all it took to yank maya out of her dreams, reminding her of the dark shattered life she lives. There was only one piece that kept the good happy feeling. It wasn't the birthday this time. The birthday was gone months ago. It was the heavenly scent, the warm blanket, and the soft pillow that locked the good memories in a bottle and kept them hidden and safe.

She looked around trying to capture the source of the strong aroma that cuddled the air. Once her eyes landed on the plate in front of her, her mouth watered. Slowly unwrapping the blanket of her body, she reached out for the fresh baked waffle on the plate that lay in front of her. As soon as the waffle reached her watering mouth, she took a bite letting the heavenly taste to the waffle spread in her mouth, warming her insides.

(A/N: I want some so bad now and I am very thirsty, I forgot my water bottle at home in the freezer and I am broke of money)

She ate it slowly savoring the sweetness in each bite. Soon she was finished, and back alone in her lonely world of thoughts. Who sent the waffle to her? Why would anyone be nice to her, when the entire universe turned its back on her and left her alone to rot? Yet, she thanked God. Despite how life treated her, despite the darkness that caved in on her, she still saw the light in the dullest of things, and she thank him. Day and night she looked up and prayed, prayed to God for peace, prayed for those she lost.

A young girl with a big heart. With eyes that were packed with innocence, sadness, fear, but there was a glint in the shattered orbs of hers, there was something the shone in those eyes. It was hope. this girl living on the street once had big dreams, and she wasn't going to let one shotgun, one bullet, ruin those dreams. She will wait, will pray, will hold on, will keep trying, just like Adam tried, till her last breathe she will fight. But everything comes with time. She just has to wait and pray.

She watched the cars zoom by, the colors of the sky shift, from blue to orange to red to purple and then to black. She lied back down resting her head on the soft pillow as she gazed through the tree branches at the stars shinning above in the wilderness of darkness. The blanket was next to her forgotten for the moment.

In her mind she drew shapes from stars, connecting them like dots creating constellations of her own. When she was done, she looked up and imagined her and her family up drawn in the stars. She tried to imagine the laughs, the smiles again. And she for once in the past years tried to close her eyes smile. But there was nothing to smile about. It was hard, she forgot how to smile, to laugh, she forgot how to be happy. Instead of smiling the tears spilled from her eyes as she looked up at the wide universe. She tried to say something but all that came out was a sob.

Around her the warm houses lit up, the families and kids all living in harmony, and somewhere out there, from where she came, others were dying, were scuffing the ground for food. For a piece of bread. for something, anything to keep them alive, out there they were fighting for a home, for a living. they were fighting for their country, fighting to see their flag raised, dancing in the wind just for one last time. Just like her brother fought. Just like her father spoke. They were spilling the blood to their land. Dying for something worth dying for, fighting for a place worth fighting for.

And she was here grieving, begging, praying, trying. Maybe one day, she will be able to go out there and fight too. Fight for what was taken from her. Fight for them, and even if she was going to die, she didn't just want to die on the street, she wanted to die fighting along side all others like her.

A breeze of wind brushed against her rosy cheeks, and she spoke to it. "tell them I will come home, tell them I will fight for them, with them, give them my heart and my soul, send it there, to the foreign lands, one day I will die with them" she told the wind. It wiped her tears and whispered it will. With one last kiss the wind flew away, to send the message home.

She closed her eyes as she fell in the arms of sleep. Little did she know that all this time the mysterious boy was standing there and watching her, and when sleep cuddled her, he covered her with the blanket, wiping a tear from her cheeks.