16 | safe with me

Start from the beginning

Instead of giving him an explanation, what Armin had been saying only seemed to confuse him even more. Annie Leonhart was the Female Titan, and we got her underground, what exactly is there left to be suspicious of? "But we caught the Female Titan, didn't we?"

"Yes—but," He cut himself off, carefully looking from side to side and making sure they were alone, before leaning forward to whisper something in Jean's ear. "Commander Erwin thinks it's a possibility...that there are other Titans hiding among us."

Jean furrowed his brows. He didn't like what Armin was implying. "Other Titans?"

"Yes, like the Colossal and Armored," Armin nodded. "The Commander thinks that since Annie had been from the 104th, it's safe to assume—no, there's a high chance...that some of us, are those Titans that destroyed the Walls five years ago."

Jean didn't know what to make of his statement. It all seemed unbelievable, and that there was no way one of them would end up being those giant monsters that brought humanity's downfall. He couldn't imagine any of his comrades, all of whom he spent the last three years with, to be capable of killing thousands of people just like that.

But that's exactly what I thought about the Female Titan, and now look where we are. He gulped, casting his eyes down to the ground. He didn't want to think about it yet, didn't want to think about being betrayed yet again.

The blond smiled. "But you grew up with Taryn, right? Then you shouldn't be worried about whether or not it's her."

"That's not what I'm worried about..." He then looked up, meeting Armin's eyes shyly.

Armin had a knowing look on his face as he put two and two together. He tried to hide it, lifting up a hand to lightly pat Jean on the shoulder. "I'm sure she'll be okay, Jean."

Just as the words rolled of his lips, a soldier came bursting through the courtyard's doors, appearing ragged and panic-stricken. Spotting the two, the soldier made her way towards them, small steps turning into a run as she approached. "Recruits!"

Jean and Armin instantly put their fists against their chests, saluting. "Yes ma'am!"

"Gear up and spread the word immediately! Wall Rose has been breached, Titans are flooding in from the south!"

"Huh?" Jean felt his stomach drop, the words of the soldier finally sinking in. "From the south?"

"Yes," She replies shortly, gesturing for the both of them to get moving. "Captain Levi and the other squads are getting ready in the left wing. You ought to be there as well."

"Roger," He gulped, swallowing the lump forming in his throat and feeling dread growing inside him. He watched as the soldier exited the area before his gaze flittered towards Armin, meeting the boy's eyes and finding that he was looking worried as well. "Armin...didn't you say that...the others were somewhere in the south?"

They shared a look, with the blond saying nothing and only putting a firm hand on his shoulder. Armin gave him a serious look, his grip on him tight as they stared at each other. "I'll get Mikasa and Eren. Jean, you go ahead with the others. They'll probably be sending out a few squads to rescue the 104th."

He could only nod at his instructions, feeling too out of it to even mutter out a coherent response. Sending Armin one last look of encouragement, he urged himself to move, walking away from the boy and heading towards the left wing. He felt his hands trembling and his legs felt like jelly as he made his way down the hallways.

Jean's mind had become a jumble of thoughts, not allowing him even a moment of peace which only succeeded in making him even more nervous. He kept worrying about what would happen, if the day humanity would meet its end had finally arrived. He kept worrying about his friends, if they were still alive, and most importantly, whether or not a certain girl was doing alright.