Chapter 07 ~ Long Time Been Waiting

Start from the beginning

Honk!

There he went again with his own bad habit. At least his second time picking me up in this neighbourhood and I could already hear my neighbours complaining about the car that comes to our house and honks at two minutes intervals until it leaves.

Jake suddenly grasped my shoulders.

"Hey, you've got everything," he reassured me, "but... is everything okay? Like for real?" 

I spent the whole weekend trying to forget my past all over again, while overthinking how Riddian still hasn't answered the question I asked him in his office on Friday. And even though we were on a pause with us being busy with the Presidents' meeting's preparations, and he had every right to take at least a couple hours to think about his intentions for us (but not really because it's been weeks since we've been thinking about us), I just really needed him to answer me so my recent 3am thoughts can be filled with only the embarrassments from highschool and not this too. But then again, business before pleasure! Wasn't that what we knew had to happen?

I stared at Jake.

"It's nothing. I'm fine," I quickly replied.

Jake narrowed his eyes at me. "Kat-"

Honk!

Both our eyes went back towards the window.

"You know, that boy is getting on my last nerve," Jake muttered before looking back at me, "but for you, I'll give him a chance."

"Even though you are a hundred percent sure he's no good for me?"

Smiling, Jake ruffled my hair a bit as he used to when we were younger. It was a good thing the messy look worked for this hairstyle or we'd be having a very different type of conversation right now.

"We'll talk when you come back, okay?" he more told than asked me before I could relay any threats.

I nodded reluctantly.

"And don't worry, you look good," he added lipgloss to my lips, "here's your purse," he handed it over, "and there's the door," he shoved me towards it. "Whatever is going on right now, Riddian won't even be able to tell... or take his eyes off you," he chuckled cheekily and basically forced me out my room in the forest green midi dress and black pumps I had managed to put together last minute, not realising that Riddian was just the center of my concerns.

I didn't argue because I didn't have time to, but instead forced a smile onto my face again and hurried down the stairs to see my dad stepping out of the living room to watch me in amusement. I playfully glared at him but almost fell flat on my face with the temporary distraction.

"No need to kill yourself over that boy Katherine," I heard him say just as I reached the door. 

I groaned loudly, looking back at him as he laughed aloud and was soon joined by Jake who watched us from the upstairs bannister. I wanted to say something else but-

Honk!

"Please leave before he starts honking at ten seconds intervals," Jake added to the teasing and I couldn't wait until I returned to deal with both of them. I didn't have any choice but to admit defeat though, grumbling, "don't wait up" as I opened the door and slammed it behind me before more laughter could reach my ears. Once I was outside, however, a new embarrassment settled in as I hurried down my driveway towards the car with honks still going off. Poor Mr. Jones must have been beside himself... having to follow Riddian's orders.

I breathed a sigh of relief once I finally reached inside the vehicle and the honking stopped. I also turned to raise an eyebrow at the man sitting in the backseat next to me, but he had his face buried in a newspaper until I shut the door.