Six

ᴀᴘʀɪʟ 18ᴛʜ, 2006
ᴛɪᴍᴇ: 11:06 ᴘᴍ
—𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞—
{ᴄʜᴀɴʜᴀꜱꜱᴇɴ, ᴍɪɴɴᴇꜱᴏᴛᴀ}

IT'S DONE. Officially I am a single man again and honestly, I don't feel as happy as I did the first time I got divorced. This time around I feel sad, hopeless, angry, and disappointed in both of us for not making this marriage work anymore. Instead of staying in Los Angeles until Monday, I decided to hop on a plane and come back home to just work and take some time to get myself together.

The house I had with Manny is gone—seriously it's demolished. Paisley Park has always been my home but it gets lonely around here. I never tell anyone about my loneliness because that's for me to deal with. I've been home for two hours, working on some music than watching Looney Tunes.

I could go for those sugar cookies or any cookies right now...

My eyes glance over at the landline near the couch in my living room. The time on the screen reads six minutes after eleven, Nariah is off this weekend but she is always on call anyways. I look through my black book of phone numbers and dialed her cellphone with the telephone against my ear.

It rings about four times before she picks up and I heard shuffling around until she speaks, "Hello?" She sounds groggy and half asleep.

"Nariah, it's Prince."

That's when she clears her throat and changes her tune which made me laugh, "Prince? What can I do for you, sir?"

Here she goes with that 'Sir' stuff...

"Can you come soon as possible to Paisley Park?" I ask while twirling the cord and kicking my feet up on the couch.

"I—I thought you were out of town?"

"I'm not anymore. I'm craving cookies, now can you come soon?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way." With that, we both hung up and had a smile on my lips. I've been dreaming about those cookies for days—she's good at what she does.

I decided to freshen up since nobody rarely sees me without my makeup. It's always been my thing to make sure that I look my best at all times no matter what. My custom-made silk pajamas matched with one of my baby blue head scarfs. Since I didn't take too long to get ready, I head downstairs barefooted to wait on Nariah to arrive.

Twenty minutes later, I can see her car pull through the gates after she scans her badge. She has to come through the side door entrance for employees so I hurried down the hall to play a trick on her. Soon as I got there, the buzzer went off for me to let her in. Instead, I hit the intercom to speak.

"Yeeeeeeessssss?" I stretch out in an even deeper register than my normal voice.

"Um, Prince? It's me." Nariah's small timid voice says back. "Can you let me in? It's kinda breezy out here."

"What's the magic word?"

"Magic word?"

"Yes...The magic word."

She remains silent for a moment thinking as I covered my mouth laughing. "Is the magic word, can you please open the door because it's cold before I take myself back home?" She says in the kindest way possible even I knew she was getting annoyed with me.