13.Looking forwards

Hua Cheng and Xie Lian walked arm in arm through the Ghost city, making their way towards the outskirts. Early that morning they had both felt some spiritual disturbances arising there . It wasn't of much concern considering there was no one powerful enough, except maybe Xie Lian, who could possibly harm the Ghost King, yet the duo still decided to check it out together.

They knew they had reached their destination when they saw before them a large pit. Hua Cheng drew out his scimitar and Xie Lian knelt down to peer into the pit. It wasn't very deep and Xie Lian could clearly make out two figures, both unconscious, lying in the dirt. 

It took him a few seconds, but when the realization struck, he felt his blood run cold. Behind him,  Hua Cheng audibly gasp. 

Inside the pit lay two humans, the older was dressed in exquisite white robes decorated with hues of blue and green. A little further away from him lay a much smaller figure, clothes- better described as rags, clung to his frail frame.

"Dianxia..." Hua Cheng managed to choke out.

Inside, the figure in white stirred, slowly coming to consciousness. Xie Lian jumped into the pit, not giving it a moment's thought.

"Gege wait !", Xie Lian was gone before the words left his mouth and he leaped in after his beloved. Hua Cheng would never let Xie Lian head into such suspicious territory alone.

Xie Lian quickly made his way to the smaller figure, squatting before him. The noises must have woken him up because his lone obsidian eye slowly blinked open to stare at him. 

"...Hong er?" 

The small figure yelped and tried to jump away but Xie Lian arrested his flight, gently gripping the small hands in his own. Behind him the younger Xie Lian had pinned Hua Cheng to the ground, hands tightening around his neck. 

"WHO ARE YOU"?

"A mere Ghost King , your highness", came the reply.

'Xie Lian' was 17 years old and although he was brimming with spiritual energy, he was much too inexperienced, so Hua Cheng was pinned of his own volition.

"...Dd-Dian-Xia..?" Hong er all but squeaked, his voice shaky. Xie Lian gently gathered him up in his arms and went over the duo. 

'Xie Lian', who was still a Dianxia, had gotten up from Hua Cheng after having sensed no malicious intentions. However, his eyes went wide the moment they fell upon the adult  Xie Lian. Even after hundreds of years, the resemblance was striking.

"Who are you?", Dianxia's voice was filled with suspicion.

 Hua Cheng reached over to his Xie Lian and picked up his past self from his beloved's arms. He held Hong gingerly by the collar, swinging him midair. The poor kid could only yell and tremble. Fortunately for him, Dianxia quickly snatched him away from the stranger's hands and held him close in a protective embrace.

Hua Cheng froze, his face was tinted with an unreadable expression. Xie Lian held Hua Cheng's palm in his own and laughed nervously. 

"It seems you have traveled 800 years  into the future." Xie Lian explained after his brain had managed to process the situation.

Dianxia looked bewildered while Hong tucked his face into the His Dianxia's chest. 

"Then you must be...", he took one glance at the rough and plain white robes, old and frayed at the corners, and the cheap bamboo hat adorning the man in white and trailed off.

"Yes." Xie Lian confirmed. His younger self looked at him dumbfoundedly, distaste and worry written all over his face.

"I am sure you have a lot of questions", Hua Cheng interrupted," Let us go somewhere more appropriate"