Do it for Atlas

After our shared kiss, I returned all my attention back to Atlas' open wound. I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming emotion of joy feel my very core, yet the shame was still present. How could Atlas take me back when I was just in Denver's embrace? How could I take Atlas back when he pushed me away repeatedly?

What made him push me away?

The unanswered questions swirled in my mind as I bandaged the thin roll of gauze over the bleeding injury. My thoughts wandered back to my deceased brother, his words and voice still fresh in my world.

"You are young, KeeKee. Boys will come and go but it's up to you to decide which one tries to make you a better person and which one loves you unconditionally. Don't jeopardize your morals and standards for a guy."

Ammon's words back then made life seem so easy. His words made choosing who to love so easy.

Should I take Atlas back? Do I deserve to be taken back?

My mind wandered so far that I didn't realize I was laying next to Atlas again, playing with the hem of his shirt; his arms wrapped securely around my waist.

We didn't speak. The silence between us was loud enough to let the other know that we were both deep in thought.

Being in this silence, my mind began to power down and let me slip into the clutches of slumber. My body slumped down next to Atlas' masculine form, conforming to his warmth and security I felt with his arms holding my waist.

Tentatively, I wrapped my leg around his hips, forgetting that my mind was battling with my heart. My lips pressed against his jawline, challenging the idea that I deserve to be so close to his loving side.

Atlas didn't move; I took that as an okay so my eyes began to close. The room was silent, but outside the door you could hear the coming and going footsteps of someone. I assumed those steps to be of the nurse since they were light and quiet steps.

The stillness of Atlas' breathing made me believe that he was fast asleep, dreaming of whatever makes him happy. I decided to tag along and sleep next to him.

My mind began to wander just as I was sinking myself into the teeth of sleep. If my parents could see me now, I thought, they would have had me grounded so fast. One day I'm crying for my mother, the next I'm about to have sex and I'm sleeping next to a guy. Way to live on the wild side, Cherokee.

I was about to turn around and press my back against Atlas' side when he tightened his grip on my waist, his lips near my ear. He breathed deeply and whispered gruffly to me, "Cherokee," his arm squeezing my sides to wake me up from my nonexistent nap. "Cher, wake up, I need to tell you something.."

I batted my lashes quickly, trying to push the sleep away before peering up at him. "What is it..?"

My heart thumped quickly in my being as wild thoughts ran through my head.

"Last night," he began, searching for the right words, "Last night I did something I'm not entirely proud of."

I held his shirt and snuggled closer, trying to push my conclusion away-- the conclusion that Atlas didn't want me.

"Well, what did you do?" I question him, my eyes searching his vacant eyes.

Atlas leaned down and playfully nuzzled his nose against my cheek before catching my lips with his. He pulled back slowly and mumbled for only my ears to listen, "Last night I got extremely drunk.."

I exhaled the deep breath I was holding before I smacked his not injured arm. "Atlas, you jerk I thought you went out and got half of Panem pregnant!"