Training: Day I

If only I could stop. The nightmares were the only thing holding me back from getting a full night's worth of rest. All the possibilities and outcomes from the Games revolved around my mind and they didn't want to let up. This night was no different from the torture my brain inflicts on myself.

Panting, I burst through the foliage surrounding me. Screams of deep agony break through the eery silence every couple of seconds. I could only run and try to escape the anguish. Tree branches rip my clothes, puncture my cheeks, and blind me as I try to push on through. Getting entangled with some branches, I manage to rip myself free and to stumble into an open field. It is breathtaking. White and purple flowers cover the lush green grass and a cool breeze brushes past the trees, making the branches wave in an almost hypnotic dance. And suddenly, the rays of glorious sunshine are blocked by dark storm clouds. The wind whipped against me, making my hair fly in the wind and covering my face. Fat raindrops began to hit the green vegetation, the wind making the rain sting my face as they hit against me with aggressive fury. I attempt to shield my face by bringing my arm up to my face. I squint into the distance and my breath hitches in my throat. Atlas.

I could see Atlas, on his knees with his hands behind his head. His jaw kept setting and unsetting as the nerves ran through his body. Standing in front of him was a man who I have never seen but somehow I knew him. He had a slick, black gun pointed directly at Atlas' head. I saw as Atlas take a gulp as the mysterious man put his finger on the trigger. The man had a smirk on his lips and was sneering down at his victim. And that is when I broke into a run, screaming and pleading for the man to not kill Atlas.

I ran and ran for what seemed an eternity. The distance between Atlas and I was unbearable but I had to give it a chance. I could save Atlas. I neared Atlas and the man looked straight at me. Atlas turned with him. The man glanced back at Atlas and laughed, the same smirk as before covered his lips and as he returned his gaze to look at me, he pulled the trigger and sent a bullet right through Atlas' head. I screamed and watched as the bullet entered through his forehead. The impact made Atlas recoil back into the green foliage. Blood trickled down the side of his mouth and collected in the dark green earth, his lifeless eyes, wide open in shock. I fell down next to Atlas, screaming in effort to try to shush the overwhelming and deafening ring of truth. But, it was too late to save the one and only guy who tried.

I woke up in a heaving mess. My hair was matted down to my scalp and my shirt felt damp with nervous sweat. I had to make sure Atlas was okay. I stood up and felt liquid roll down my cheeks. Tears. Quickly, I wiped my cheeks and walked outside into the hallway. I slowly walked across the padded carpet and raised my fist up to knock on the mahogany door but never got to make the knock. Atlas stumbled around the corner and bumped against the side of the wall. He cursed under his breath and ran his fingertips along the wall as he walked towards me. The breath I was accidentally holding in escaped as I laid my eyes on Atlas. I walked quietly back to my door and before I closed the thick door, I saw Atlas bump into a wooden table filled with decanters. I smiled slightly and closed the door behind me. The need to sleep weighed down on my being with a vengeance as I plopped back onto the quilted comforters and fluffy pillows. Before my eyes fluttered shut I came to a conclusion: no way in Hell am I letting anyone kill Atlas.

I was in the dining room before Atlas was the following morning. The servants busied over themselves as they set the table together. Nerias walked in soon after they were done. He sat himself next to me and began to fill his plate with breakfast. He looked up and smiled sweetly at me. I returned the smile to the best of my abilities and cautiously filled my plate with minimal food. Nerias watched me and he said in a raspy, morning voice, " I wouldn't worry about how much you got on that plate. Samual isn't here, eat to your heart's content!"