part twenty-three

Start from the beginning

Juno inclines her head in agreement, taking her hand away. But her touch still lingers ghostly on his skin. "I know."

"But if it's so important to you, we can step things up," he muses. "We can start doing more exercises, get up earlier so we have more time-"

A loud groan leaves her lips as she collapses back onto the bed, stretching her arms out like a starfish. Jeno gazes down at her, amusement on his face. "Are you trying to kill me?" Juno wails dramatically.

But just as he opens his mouth to reply, someone swishes the curtain aside and pokes his head in. "Hey, guys."

"Marco!" Juno sits up. "What are you doing here?"

"You said you'd be training, so I went upstairs. But you guys weren't there, so I figured you'd probably be here." He eyes her bruises with uncharacteristic displeasure. "You should take it easy, Juju."

She doesn't notice Jeno stiffen at the nickname. "No, I want to get strong like you."

"You flatter me," Mark replies, but he has on that grin she adores. "Anyway, are you done here? I kinda wanted to talk to you."

Her eyes widen. "Shit, am I in trouble?"

"No more than you usually are."

"Oi!"

"Hey, you sound like me," he laughs.

"I know, you're a terrible influence."

Jeno's eyes bounce back and forth between the two during their exchange and his jaw clenches, feeling more than a little forgotten as they speak. He clears his throat. "We just finished training, so-"

"Can I actually steal her for a bit?" Mark turns to Juno. "I can walk you back to your dorm if that's where you're headed after this."

"Sounds good." She rises, tossing a gaze at the other boy. "Thanks for today, Jennie."

"Jennie?" he questions, lips pursing with amusement. It's ridiculous; he just cannot stay pissed. He shouldn't be, anyway. It's just this heart of his that is determined to mess him up. "My last name isn't Kim, though."

"Yeah, but you needed a nickname. Besides, she's so fine, you should be honored."

"Ready to go?" Mark cuts in softly.

"Yeah!" They turn to leave, and Juno wiggles her fingers at him. "See you later."

Jeno still standing there for a while after they've left, and Taeil approaches him with a mug of coffee in his hands. The nurse gazes in the direction of the two who just left and then shifts his eyes over to Jeno, shaking his head in disappointment before taking a sip. "Both of you are so goddamn obvious."

"What are you talking about, hyung?" Jeno questions tiredly, as if he really has no idea.

Taeil doesn't buy it, of course. "You're lucky she's the type that doesn't notice shit, otherwise you're screwed." He gestures with his cup in the direction of the machine. "Coffee?"

Jeno shakes his head, declining the offer. "I'm okay."

Taeil cocks his head to the side, examining the boy. As the school nurse, he is all too aware of all the drama that happens within the students - and it's not like he asks, they always just volunteer the information willingly. "I thought you swore off girls after what happened with Livi."

Jeno bites his lower lip. "I did."

"Well, keep that energy," Taeil grumbles. "It's your last year. Just focus on getting out of here."

Meanwhile, the other two are striding through the hallways, gaining looks from other students who are milling around. They whisper to each other as they pass, and Juno sighs. Is this what dating one of these boys would be like? Constant scrutiny and gossip? She has to give them credit; having everyone's eyes on you always is much more difficult to deal with than it seems.