twenty-four

SIN CITY, BLACK ATLASS

What the hell?

I look down at my hand then at Matthew. This thing is heavy. The marquise cut sapphire glints against the light. There's a cluster of three leaf-like diamonds on the outside that makes it look like a flower.

"Where the hell did you pull a ring from?" I ask but then it hits me. "Wait... are you asking me to marry you?"

Matthew grins. "I don't think I'm asking."

"Matthew," I began to talk, pulling the blanket higher up my chest.

"You said you wanted more. I'm showing you that I do too. I want a life with you, whenever you're ready."

"I said show me. I didn't mean to marry me."

"Then don't think about it as a proposal. Think of it as a promise," he smiles.

"A promise to what?" I counter.

"That one day it will happen," he replies. "Also, I'm not accepting your resignation; not for the magazine... You've got talent for that. If you want to come back as a Vixen at The Manor then you can. Choice is yours."

"Okay," I say. He pecks my lips. I can't hide the grin forming on my face when he pulls away. "I'd love to work with you, in any way I can get you."

I get up with the urgency to use the bathroom. "BRB... I need to pee."

Matthew's chuckles follow me as I rush to the bathroom. As I dive into the pleasure of letting my bladder become empty, I pause and look at the cabinet underneath the bathroom sink. Opening the wooden door towards me, I rummage through it remaining on the toilet seat. There's an annoying pestering from my bladder screaming to be emptied completely. Pulling the small box, tearing it open, I pulled out the stick I was looking for.