fifteen

ARCADE, DUNCAN LAURENCE & GIRL CRUSH, HARRY STYLES

Her touch is all I can think about. It feels as if her fingertips phantomly stroke along my skin. She spins and turns effortlessly on the strap-held hoop hanging above the great stage at The Manor. Her every drop makes me squirm. Please don't fall. Please don't fall. Every cell in my brain wants to believe that. She has a smile on her face, hidden every now and then by her red hair. A red wig that tells me she's in a zone. Untouchable. Unfazed by anyone around her.

"She will be alright," Rayna places a palm on my bicep. "Matthew, if you genuinely love her, whatever she did you can forgive. Except if she cheated, that's a low-blow."

My gaze returns to hers in alarm. Does she intend to use that against me? Once I see the growing smile on her face, I narrow my eyelids at her. Rayne attempts to suppress a giggle.

"Matthew, I'm joking. I know what our relationship was. I told you to be happy, if you found someone. Being uncomfortable was a typical response from me because you're my best friend. I didn't want to see you hurt and here we are," she explains. "You're watching the girl that you say broke your heart and trust like a hawk while nursing a glass of whiskey with your ex."

The music ending shifts my attention back to Genesis. She frees herself from the hoop. When she looks up, I watch her find me. Her eyes dart between Rayna and I as I plant a kiss good-bye on Rayna's forehead. Her jaw clenches and she looks away. Genesis walks off of the stage.

"Call me anytime you need to chat, okay?" Rayna insists. "I'll hang out at the nightclub for a while, if you need a ride home. You've had a lot to drink tonight."

"Okay," I nod but the remember I forgot something extremely important. "Actually, I have something to talk to you about in the office."

"Oh, okay," she says. I take her hand in mine, leading her down the hall.

~ 🦋 ~