"Mhm, and your friends? When's the last time you went out? To a bonfire? To dinner with anyone? To the bar?"

"Mara actually messaged me earlier in the week to see if I wanted to join in on a night out with her and a few friends tomorrow," I admitted sheepishly, "but I turned her down."

"Sloane," he said, his voice dropping to a slow and marginally disappointed tone, "it's not healthy to isolate yourself from your friends. I know you've had a rough year—what with dealing with your mom, me, and the store—but it's time to start living again. And living for you. I'm not going to be around forever."

I felt a swell of emotion build in the back of my throat. "Dad..."

"I'm serious, sweetie," he said. "Whether it be next week, next month, next year, or sometime after that, there'll eventually come a day when I'm no longer around. And I don't want you to have let your friends fall to the wayside in the time being. You're young. You should be out—having fun and falling in love."

"I don't know about the falling in love bit."

"Of course you don't, because you can't meet anyone at the store or if you're visiting me."

A laugh ended up bubbling from my lips as I laid my head back against the pillowed head rest my chair had. "Usually parents appreciate when their child isn't letting loose every night."

His smile in response was wide. "Maybe when dealing with teenagers—though you definitely let me and your mom off the hook at that stage too—but you're nearly thirty." He reached over and covered my hand with his. "You're free to let loose in your free time."

"Then I guess I'd better text Mara back and tell her I'm free tomorrow."

"You do that," he said, patting at my hand. "And make sure to have fun."

I rolled my eyes in amusement, pulling my phone out of my pocket. "I'll try."

***

A few hours later, I was manning the front counter at Wilma's, ringing up what looked to be the last order of a busy lunch rush. The line had consistently been growing since before noon—June and I working at high speed to meet everyone's needs—when finally, ten minutes ago, the line began to dwindle as it approached two in the afternoon. June had scurried to the back to refill the dessert trays as well as prepare more treats for the oven, leaving the customers to me.

Putting a raspberry muffin into a to-go bag, I pushed it across the counter with a smile. "Here you go, Mrs. Ampton. Have a good rest of your day."

"Thank you, dear," she replied, grabbing her order before heading for the front door.

With nobody else around, I heaved a sigh of relief as I stretched out my back, feeling marginally better as I heard a crack.

I wasn't alone for long, however, as not five minutes later the bell above the front door rang loud as Ryan walked in, Bowen skipping happily beside him. The latter's eyes widened with surprise and a grin split his features when he noticed me.

"Miss. Montgomery!" he exclaimed, running up to the counter. "Uncle Ryan's taking me fishing this afternoon."

"Is he now?" I asked, flitting my gaze to the man in question, who seemed amused at his nephew's excitement. "Well, that'll be fun. It's a gorgeous day today."

"That it is," Ryan said. "We're actually in here to pick up some bait. I seem to remember your family stocking some."

I nodded. "We do." I gestured toward the far left of the store. "There's a small fridge at the end of aisle 2 that has containers of worms."