two .

Chapter  2 :     realized

Time went on, seasons changed, and you grew into someone strong, someone smart, and someone who maybe had a chance at surviving this dark world.

Your relationship with Annie was strange, but comfortable. You sat with her almost everyday at least once, and she let herself relax the tiniest bit when the two of you were alone. You gradually filled the silence between you two, you doing most of the talking, but it was fine. Annie listened diligently and always paid attention. You didn't know it, but she liked when you would ramble on for several minutes; it would push all of her bad thoughts away and fill her mind with the comforting sound of your voice: the one thing that brought her peace in this strange land.

However things were only as comfortable as Annie would let them be: if you got too close to her physically she would get up and walk away, leaving you to apologise from a comfortable distance behind. Or when you two would get a little deep in conversation, Annie would shut right up if she noticed herself opening up too much, leaving the two of you in awkward silence.

None the less, you enjoyed your relationship with Annie, and your fondness for the girl continued to grow. One of your favourite things about Annie was her sweet tooth: how her eyes would brighten at the sight of sweets, no matter how hard she would try not to. Though you two had very little in common, you both liked to read and both liked cats.  It wasn't much, but it meant the world to you if it helped you connect with the cold girl.

Sometimes, when you and Annie were totally alone and she had loosened up a bit, she would let a small smile crack through her mask of indifference, and the sight, however short, always filled you with joy, stirring a certain feeling within you that you couldn't place.

On one summer day, over a year after you first sparred with Annie, you and the girl were standing apart from the other cadets as she continued to teach you some of her sparring moves. She had stayed true to her word when she said she would teach you some of her combat moves, and for the past year, you and her would meet a couple times a week and she would run you through the motions and attacks that would guarantee success in hand to hand.

Today, Annie was showing you some throws; how to take down an opponent of any size. Your back already felt bruised by the few times you had already been thrown to the ground. Annie was explaining it you in depth, as you were having a bit of a hard time understanding what she was showing you.

"Here, we'll do it in slow motion" Annie says after you give her a confused look. She pulls you up to standing and stands in front of you, no more than 2 feet apart. "Make a move like you're gonna punch me in the face". You hold out your arm in a punch pose, poised by Annie's head.

She grabs your arm with her two hands, turning her body so that you could not escape the grip. "So you're gonna grab you opponent with both hands like this, on hand near their shoulder area to better pull their body weight. Next you are going to turn your body like this, and pull your opponent's weight onto your shoulders like this."

Annie turns her body around, pressing her back up against your front; She shifts her weight so that you are lifted slightly onto her shoulders. Your head made contact with Annie's hair, and your nose was filled with the scent of her skin and her shampoo; the familiar scent twisted into something new: you've never been this close to her before.

The press of Annie's warm body against yours and the unique smell of her filling your nose, ripped the air from your lungs and made your heart near stop. These new sensations and feelings had you feeling lightheaded, and you could not get enough of Annie Leonhart's "embrace".

Your body slips over her shoulder and your back makes contact with the ground once more. You were still in your head about your sudden strange feelings as Annie leaned over you, blocking out the sun.

"Y/n are you listening?" She asked, tone flat but a slight concern in her eyes.

The very eyes that first drew you to her were gazing at you again, sometimes covered by the thing strands of blonde from her hair.

You were speechless; your heart was pounding harder than it ever had. Annie grabs you and pulls you up, and releases her hands from your jacket.

"We'll break for today. You're obviously tired" Annie says as she dusts herself off and turns away.

"See you at dinner?" You try to call to her, voice a little thick, struggling to keep it from wavering.

She turns back to glance at you, shrugs, and then continues on her way.

Your chest still felt funny, and you could feel heat in your face at the thought of Annie and her scent and her warmth. What was going on?

Where you in love with Annie Leonhart?

.