Chapter 1 : The Transformation

To FrostbiteTheFangirl 's WoF Fanfiction competition - I hope this is acceptable 030.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-

"Come on, Hayley, Hayley, Hayley, wake up!" I blinked profusely, and opened my eyes to see my younger sister, Meddie bouncing at the brim of my bed. "It's your birthday! Cake!" My name is Hayley Weathers, and today was my 13th birthday, as I realized. Meddie leapt off and jump-crawled to the first floor. She's always like that. I prodded the lamplight nearby me, glad to see that my latest book about dragons was still there. Unable to resist, I grabbed it, and pulled out where I last left. If there was one thing you should know about me, it's the craziness of my love for those mythical creatures. My friends follow the same rope as well, Leana, Sam, Xenia (The foreign Chinese girl), and Nymphadia (We call her Diana). Firstly, Leana was a French who had a nice accent. Her long, dangling golden hair covered her shoulders. Sam, was a Filipino, from Phillipines, Asia. We all liked her the moment we saw her. Xenia, was slightly dim, as you can say. And sometimes grouchy. Diana, well... She was a nature-lover, and hugs trees. Of course, I was joking about the tree. I started to continue reading.
'Rainwings are dragons who can camouflage their scales, and blend in anywhere. They live in the rainforest, and are known as lazy as they like to sleep out in the warm sun.'
Was all of this real? I shook my head reluctantly. You need to get out of that world sometime, Hayley, I thought, placing the book down back nearby my lamp. I walked down from the steep, dark-wood staircase into the living room, where as I expected, Mom and Dad, along with Meddie waiting for me.
"Happy birthday, Hayley, " murmured my mother, stroking my hair. Father smiled down at me, and handed me a patched, wrapped present. I tore it open, not wasting a second as I drew it up in the light. The cover said - 'The Encyclopedia of Dragons.' However, I never got to read it. Meddie squealed, as Mom started slicing the cake. Thirteen candles ready. I paused, and made a wish. I wish that dragons are real... They are, right?
-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-
The doorbell rang. I listened. One ring. Second ring. Third ring. Fourth ring. My friends were here. I grinned, as I handed Meddie a piece of cake. A loud holler reached my ears.
"Hayley! If you're not there I'm going to murder you!" That had to be Sam. Another voice followed quite stiffly,
"You'd better open the door. We're starving." One name flashed through my head. Xenia. I placed down my plate, and walked casually to the door, and opened it. It creaked dramatically, before the grinning face of Leana welcomed me outside.
"Happy birthday!" They chorused, leaping and hugging me. I smiled, laughing, as my mother came out with five pieces of chocolate cake.
"Today.. We're giving you permission to go on a private picnic together alone in the woods." My heart leapt up to the stars, as father handed out plastic cultery. Xenia grinned, something she did rarely.
"Awesome."
"Amazing!"
"Yay!"
"Nice."
It was easy to distinguish the voices of my friends. Xenia took a plate, and a slice of cake. Sam took all the cultery, while Leana carried her plate and herself's. We nodded, said goodbye to my Mom and Dad, and Meddie and set off.
-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-
We didn't go long before stumbling across a red sign.
'DANGER : レッツ プ-ヅウオ.' We all knew who wrote that. The Eldery Lady. She was a wise one who lived in a shed nearby, and liked to put up red signs to warn people about the slippery steps and other dangers in the woods. Some were written in Japanese, like this one. Sam hummed slightly.
"It says wet puddle. Might be a storm nearby." Looking up at the darkened sky seemed to make her guess come true.
"Oh, who cares?" Burst out Xenia.
"It can just pass away," added Leana. We nodded, and continued to proceed through the leafy greenery. We reached a clean, dry clearing soon.
"So... What are your favorite dragons?" I spoke, setting the small cloth down.
"Mine is a Rainwing." Announced Sam with a hint of pride in her voice.
"Well... Um.. Either Sandwing or Nightwing," Leana stuttered, blushing slightly.
"No, dude, you must be Nightwing because I like the Sandwing out of all dragons," Diana said straight after Leana.
"Well.. Then I'm Icewing. Awesome dragons." Xenia spoke without any hesitation.
"What's yours?" Asked Leana, putting one piece of cake in her mouth.
"Well.. Well.. Um. You know.. The Seawing?" I whispered shyly. Diana nodded,
"Yep. Clear."
Sam added,
"Surely. You ace every swimming gala."
"Like a waterbird!" Added Leana. Xenia looked at the sky. The dark clouds weren't moving, and a flicker of unease flashed in her eyes. The dimness seemed to be hanging over us, and the sun was almost cut off.
"Guys.. Look.." Xenia pointed to the sky. And the wind started to blow, and blow.

Branches whipped around us, Leana shrieked, and Sam huddled closer. We ended up next to each other, soaked.
"A-at le-le-least being s-soaked is b-b-better than dead," joked Diana in a fearful way. A lighting bolt flashed in the distance. Xenia caught the flying cloth, as I counted. 1. 2- BOOM. I looked at my friends with pure fear in my eyes. The storm was nearby, and we couldn't move. That was my last thought before everything,
Everything,
Every
Thing
Went black.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Blackness.
Darkness.
Dimness.
Dazed, I blinked. Everything was blurry. What did just happen? Oh, probably the branches from the storm knocked me down. Where were my friends? What had happened? Where were we? And I could see clearly, a while after now. I groggily stood up, nearly tripped over one of my friend's dazed body. I held up my right hand. Only that it wasn't a ' hand' anymore. A dark-silver blue webbed talon grinned back at me, bright stripes and patterns gleaming on the palm.

A/N:
Sorry for the upcoming sucky pictures :P, you can see how great I am at art! *note the sarscam on great*