Back In The Game

"Ready?" Jasper asks as I finish curling my hair.

"I'll meet you in the car." I tell him and he nods, blurring out of my window. I throw my bag over my shoulder and jog down the stairs, looking around for Mom but she left already. I lock my door behind me and walk down the pathway to the Jeep.

"How was your night?" Emmett wiggles his eyebrows through the rear view mirror, making Jasper punch his arm but I just laugh at their exchange. Rosalie snorts and shakes her head lovingly to Emmett and we continue to school in a comfortable silence.

Emmett parks and I'm the first to hop out, looking around and spotting the New Girl, Bella, by her truck and watching us. Well, looking for Edward more like it.

"She's looking for him." I speak frankly as Jasper slides an arm over my shoulders. Rosalie growls and Emmett rubs her back as Alice looks longingly towards Bella.

"Don't even think about it, Pixie." Rosalie spits at Alice. She slumps into depression and I look back over to Bella who then turns her gaze to me. She smiles hesitantly, waving.

"Don't you dare." Rosalie warns. I know what she's doing. She was looking for acknowledgement, seeing if she could talk to me again about Edward.

"Sorry Rosalie." I mutter and give her a little wave back.

"The hell was that for?" Rosalie hisses.

"I know, Rosalie, I'm not stupid." I snap at her and glare a little. "The girl's no good. But if we ignore her too much, she's going to get even more curious and start snooping." I grumble and she huffs, not wanting to admit I'm right. "I'm going to handle this one, Alice, I'm sorry but you're too friendly."

"So are you!" She protests and Jasper snorts next to me.

"Not when you first meet her." He says in a tense, strained voice.

"She's a cocky little thing in the beginning." Emmett grins, making me sneak another glance at Bella to see her still staring.

"Well... Guess it's time to start our little game, hmm?" I sigh and hike my bag further up on my shoulder. "See you in class Hun." I leave a peck on Jasper's lips before walking towards Bella, my strides becoming more fluent and cocky as I get closer to people I don't know any more.

I feel the eyes on me as people realize I'm walking away from the Cullen's. After a year of being with Jasper, everyone just started treating me like one of them, like I'm untouchable. No one talks directly to me but everyone talks about me. Everyone stares and moves out of my way and the teachers never directly confront me. Except for Ms. Schwartz.

"You look like a lost puppy, New Girl." I smirk to her, leaning against her truck.

"A-Ah I was just, uh-"

"Wondering where precious little Edward ran off to?" I interject and her face lights up like a Christmas tree.

"Y-Yeah." She mumbles and I chuckle, running my hand through my hair.

"Visiting a college in Alaska, he's staying with our cousins up there." I answer her with a sincere smile.

"Oh." She replies, probably feeling embarrassed, which is good. That means she believes me.

"When will he be back?" She asks hesitantly.

"You know just as much as me I'm afraid. The kid's horrible." I laugh in good nature, making it that much more believable. I look at my phone and then back at Bella.

"I never caught your name." I switch topics even though everyone knows her name.

"It's Bella. Bella Swan." She informs me and I nod. Chief's daughter. Perfect.

"Well, Swan. Gotta get to class. Later." I wave over my shoulder and start my way into the school.

"You need to stop that." I hear Jasper's low growl in my ear as he joins me.

"Oh?"

"I'm debating mass murder with what these boys are feeling. I don't even want to know what they're thinking." He growls, looking around like a predator. I smirk a little and pull him with me to the lockers before attaching my lips to his. I feel him calm down just a bit, worked up with different emotions now.

"Let's go lover boy." I wink with a giggle, walking off in a comfortable way, feeling safe and protected with Jasper's eyes on me.

~

"So? What's with her?" Rosalie growls begrudgingly.

"She believes what I told her, about the college thing." I reply, "She sounds like a wreck but she's smart." I sum up, eating my food with one hand while the other rests on Jasper's thigh. Rosalie hisses and leans into Emmett some more.

"Do you think she's going to be a problem?" Jasper asks through clenched teeth and I nod.

"I don't think she's ever gonna stop." I add.

"Perfect." Rosalie growls and rubs her temples, as if she has a headache. I found that gesture quite amusing considering her indestructibility.

"On a slightly more depressing note, anyone hear from him?" I ask and Alice shakes her head no and my leg starts bouncing as I chew the inside of my cheek.

"You do that when you're nervous." Jasper mumbles, bumping his knee with mine.

"Why are you nervous?" Alice asks and I sigh, feeling like I'm going to explode. "I don't know - I just -" I breathe, running my hands through my hair.

"I feel like everything's going to blow up." I confess.

"I'll be damned if I let that happen." Rosalie speaks and storms out dramatically. We all bid Emmett a farewell and soon enough it's just Alice and my mate.

"It's going to be sunny tomorrow." Alice tells us, changing the subject.

"You should sleep over." She winks with a playful smirk.