Jija Bai

Jijabai Shahaji Bhosale, also known as Rajmata Jijabai or Jijau, was the mother of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, who was the  founder of the Maratha Empire

Jijabai was born on 12 January 1598. Her parents were Mahalasabai Jadhav and Lakhuji Rao Jadhav who belonged to Deulgaon, situated near Sindkhed. Her father Lakhuji Rao was a Maratha noble.

Jijabai got married to Shahaji Bhosale at a very early age. Shahaji Bhosale was the son of Maloji Bhosale of Verul village. He was a military commander serving under the Nizam Shahi sultans. Jijabai died on 17 June 1674.

JIja Bai is more known as the Rajmata of the Maratha empire. She was the living Maa Bhavani for Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Once Maa Bhavani came and gave him his sword, but his mother motivated him daily for Swarajya. Jija bai did not just serve the duties of a dutiful wife and responsible mother, but she also undertook the responsibility of teaching her son the importance of Sanatana Dharma of Bharat, by making him read epics like Mahabharat and Ramayana, Vedas and Upanishads. She did not tell them as bedtime stories; she made Shivaji understand the duties of a king and of becoming a loyal servant to his kingdom, his subjects and his motherland. 

She also took the responsibility of raising her grandson Shambhaji Maharaj which made him no less the warrior his father was. Shambhaji was imprisoned and was asked to convert his religion, which he refused and stood by his words till his last breath. 

These types of characters shown by both Shivaji and Shambhaji prove what kind of a strong will powered woman Jijabai was. She was the main reason, the driving force, for the formation of Swarajya. She vowed not to wear footwear till the Shingad fort won in a battle from the Mughal king Aurangzeb, and her vow took birth to the witnessing of one of the most famous battles ever fought by one of the comrades of Maratha Empire, Subedaar Tanhaji Malusare.

When Shivaji was captured by deceit by Aurangzeb; if it would’ve been some other mother, she would’ve been scared for her son’s life, but this strong tigress did not let fear take place in her heart instead she took up the responsibility of leadership. 

India is fortunate to have been under the rule of great kings like Shivaji Maharaj and Shambhaji Maharaj but they would’ve not been the warriors they were if not for this woman, who stood tall and provided her children the courage and willpower to succeed. 

Written by Himaja_Mazumdar
Edited by Saar_Kashyap