Chapter Eighteen

Começar do início

"You're insinuating that the victim of the massacre is mentally challenged?"

"Look at him," said Edas, his ruby eyes never leaving Oliver. "Why would anyone take him serious let alone his recount of what happened?"

With those words, the man smiled knowing that every second he was able to deflate the poor boy's ego and self-esteem.

Isabella observed the vampire and she found him to be a very interesting character. She recognized a narcissist anywhere because not only was she one but she was a very good one. She knew those tactics, the reverse psychology, the victim-blaming, the whole nine yard.

"Then how do you explain him recognizing you from that night?"

The vampire chuckled. He got down from his seat as slowly as he could, walking to the centre of the room where the revenant sat. He stood beside him and for a second glanced at the young man.

"It's no secret that I am a man envied and hated by many. It's also no secret that Oliver is a boy who is subject to his queen that has a little strife with me,"

Adira, after hearing those words frowned.

"You're also insinuating that I influenced Oliver to lie, pointing you out as the criminal?"

"You've had it out for me since the minute I showed up for Petra. Not to forget, but I'm probably one of the only people who know what you did rather recently, in regards to settling that matter,"

"What matter?" Asked Councilman Victor.

Edas, like the demon he was, grinned devilishly in the face of Adira and Colette. Both the women's hearts thumbed manically at what they knew were about to come.

Adira looked at McLean and the man already stood in the row. His blue gaze followed hers and realized the other revenants were all ready to pounce and at either of their commands.

"I'm not sure how many of you were aware, but the queen among the revenants have not been honest with all of you here today in this council hearing. What she has decided, is to be tight lipped about a situation that could cause the demise of countless. It could birth chaos for both our world and that of the humans."

Of course, Isabella, still livid cast her gaze directly to her daughter as the vampire continued to speak.

"Merely days before this hearing, her majesty, Adira, had her stooges, her very own revenants cover up a discovery that was made."

There was a pause as Colette's eyes widened and her palms sweat like crazy. There was no way Edas knew that. There was no way he was going to be a tattletale and in a room filled with important people.

"It was evident that she paid large sums of money to keep her new paramour out of the spotlight after she was caught by her fellow humans, using her powers," finished the man and successfully, as he calculated in the last seconds to save himself, an uproar started.

The people were disgruntled, they were upset, they felt disrespected and fearful. And within this chaotic disruption, Isabella still gazed angrily at her daughter.

"Adira, is this true?" Asked the woman and at her question, the room grew quiet.

"Edas is known to be a compulsive liar, an idiot who would say and do anything to save himself. Oliver did not lie, he was the one, along with his wife, these two and two others who attacked my bar and killed my revenants. The next day after the attack I showed up at his home and I smelled the stench of death and charred wood. It was pungent, it clung to every surface of their abode."

The councilmembers began to whisper among themselves, and the only one who wasn't a part of it was the older devil who was too occupied observing her daughter. So far the woman noticed one liar in the room and sadly it wasn't her child.