chapter one.

"Mama, I promise you I'll be fine," Imani Richards assured her mother as they sat at the dinner table, discussing her drive for tomorrow

"Mama, I promise you I'll be fine," Imani Richards assured her mother as they sat at the dinner table, discussing her drive for tomorrow. "Didi and I are leaving at like 11 so we can get there early," She insisted before taking a bite of her taco. It was Sunday night–the night before move-in day and her mother was stressing–as usual.

Imani was attending her second year at the University Of Maryland Eastern Shore, with her best friend, India Banks. Imani and India had been friends since birth–literally. Their mothers, Amia and Tiana had been friends since middle school, all throughout high school, and ended up going to the same college. Once they graduated from college, they moved to New York City, with almost no money in their pockets, but they were determined to make it work.

After a year of living in the city, they decided that it wasn't for them, so they moved back to their hometown, Silver Spring, Maryland. They both found jobs and moved into an apartment together, while also finding boyfriends as well. Amia–Imani's mother got pregnant after being with her man, Terrence for 3 years, while Tiana fell pregnant not too far after. Amia and Tiana wanted to have their children's names start with the same letter, and thankfully their boyfriends agreed.

When Amia, and Imani's father decided they were ready to make their first big purchase as a couple, they were able to snag a house in a nice neighborhood that wasn't that expensive and had enough space for the 2 and their incoming daughter. Luckily, the house down the street was for sale as well so they informed Tiana about it and she was able to move in with her husband, Nate. Once both of the girls were born, they were basically forced to be friends, and thankfully they got along, so they became inseparable. They did everything together and their parents were ecstatic that they had created a forever family.

"Which one of you driving? Or you taking turns again?" Amia questioned her and Imani huffed, tired of her questions. Their campus was a 3-hour drive away but usually became 4 hours since the girls loved to stop for food, last-minute shopping, bathroom breaks, etc.

"Amia quit pestering that girl," Imani's father appeared in the kitchen doorway, ruffling Imani's hair as he passed her, "They drove up there last year and they were fine,"

"And we were right behind them last year! This time they're going all alone Terrence, I have the right to be worried," Amia argued back while Imani laughed at their bickering. Her parents were the reason she had high standards when it came to men. His father treated her mother like a queen, spoiling her and never telling her "No". She always looked up to their relationship and hoped to find someone who loved her as much as they loved each other one day. Imani had dated a couple of guys over the years, but it seemed like she had bad luck when it came to her taste in men. They always ended up cheating on her or doing her wrong in the end, and she never saw the signs until it was too late.

"Those girls are turning 20 this year Mia, they grown as hell. They can handle a 3-hour drive," Her dad fussed and she silently stood up, rinsing her plate and putting it in the dishwasher. She texted India, seeing if she could come over while her parents began going back and forth, not even noticing that she'd left the room.