Chapter 21 ~ Tea Parties and Gardenias

Start from the beginning

"Ah, yes." The hostess spoke with an air of sophistication. "It's a pleasure, my dear," she said, smiling gently. "I am Laikin's mother. I have heard quite a lot about you from my father-in-law and son."

Marchioness Natasha Frederique's hair was so fine and blonde it resembled white silk. She was dignified in appearance and elegant in both speech and manners. Her eyes resembled Laikin's, mimicking the blue of the afternoon sky. 

"I am flattered," Dylan replied, raising her head. "Your garden is truly marvellous. Are those gardenias?"

"Yes, they are!" she exclaimed with bright eyes. "Are you fond of gardening?"

"I oversee the garden at my father's estate. Perhaps you could offer me some of your advice." Dylan frowned and lowered her eyes for a moment. "I do not have a mother," she said quietly, "so it's a bit difficult to figure such things out on my own."

"Oh my, poor child." There were tears in her eyes and in her voice. "I would be honoured to help you with your garden."

'I feel bad for playing that card, but I need support since this is my first social event.'

"Come," she said, softly. Her warm hand rested on Dylan's back. "I'll introduce you to the rest of the ladies here."

Dylan possessed elegant manners despite her humble origins. Therefore—even though they tried—the ladies found it impossible to find fault with her actions. She lifted her tea glass and examined the amber liquid, waiting for the right moment to converse with Baroness Morsher.

She was currently sharing a table with Laikin's mother, the Baroness, Countess Norine and her daughter, and—

"Lady Dylan has excellent manners despite her origins." The lady snarled at her when she spoke. "Isn't that just amazing?"

Viscountess Voretti—a close friend of the deceased Duchess of Beaumon.

"Thank you," said Dylan, bringing her teacup to her lips. 

Thud. Pain shot through Dylan's shin as her teacup slipped from her hands. The porcelain shattered when it came into contact with the table, the amber liquid staining the tablecloth. 

"I'm sorry," she said, looking confused as she lowered her head. 

'What just happened?'

"Oh my," the Viscountess said, stifling a chuckle with her hand. "That's alright. You were a commoner once, so it's understandable."

Thud. Realization washed over her in alternating waves of pain and anger. Viscountess Voretti was kicking her under the table.

 "Oh," Natasha said, frowning. "That's alright, dear. I'll have someone clean it later."

"Allow me to pour you some more tea," said the Viscountess, picking up the teapot from the centre of the table. 

Dylan hesitantly picked up a new teacup, clutching the curved handle with unsteady fingers. Her shin throbbed painfully, forcing a stifled cry of pain from her lips. Dylan watched the amber liquid pour into her cup with a strained expression. 

'What is she trying to achieve?'

Thud. She flinched as the lady's heel came into contact with her shin once more, causing her hand to move. Dylan's eyes burned with threatening tears as soon as the piping hot tea spilt all over her bare hand.

The Viscountess' hostile expression slowly faded into a sheepish smile. "Oh my," she said, "you shouldn't move your cup like that, dear. I'll take you inside to clean up."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

What do we think so far?

First and foremost, I think Dylan's relationship with Edwin is so cute. He sees her as a granddaughter to the point of wanting to have her officially recognized as his family.

Secondly, I want to know your guesses on why the Viscountess is acting hostile towards Dylan... Anyone know?