"Shouldn’t we leave?" she asked.

Ashley nodded and rose from the messy bed. "I thought you’d never ask."

A claustrophobic fear swept over them and they ran out into the second floor hallway and treaded over the floor heavily, knocking on everyone’s door. First Winston came out, looking groggy with his blonde hair tossed in a mess. Then Kevin and the boys, then everyone else except Wendy and Bleak, who were sleeping downstairs.

"What’s going on?" Kevin asked.

"Look at the time," Ashley said.

Everyone did—those few, at least, who still had battery left on their phones.

"12:40," Kevin stated. "Uh—Yeah mine’s been acting up."

"No, that’s what all of our times say," Vicky said.

"Okay, what’s your point?" Mike asked. "All that means is that the crappy reception in this house fucked up our phones."

"That doesn’t even make sense," Ashley said.

"Well, what else then?" Mike snapped. "You saying it’s still midnight? Are you fucking high?"

"Do you have to curse so much?" Victoria asked, then turned back to Kevin. "Ashley and I are leaving."

"Good," Mike said from behind them.

"Yeah, that’s a good idea," Kevin said. "We’ll all pack our things."

"What?" Mike snapped. "Why us?"

"I’m just tired of this place, okay?"

Mike grunted.

Everyone except Michael agreed (so he was forced to agree too) and packed up whatever little they brought. Once they got downstairs, they summoned Wendy and Bleak who, like before, were cuddled together in the dark. They stirred before looking up at the gang.

"We’re leaving," Kevin said. "Sorry to wake you."

Wendy yawned. "Okay," she said, mid-yawn. "What time is it?"

"We’re not sure. Something’s up with the phones."

Kevin led them to the veranda where they stared wide-eyed at the still night. The trees and grass seemed oblivious to the oddity of the night, swaying slightly in the cool breeze like night dancers. Near the cemetery, there was a thick gray fog brushed over the distant air. The sight of the fog made Victoria shudder.

"What are we waiting for?" Emily asked, taking a long stride off the veranda onto the dew-licked grass. As she was taking slow, crunching steps she began walking quicker toward the fog, where the cemetery was. The gang watched, hesitant for some reason, as she reached a distance that made them uneasy.