14: Expecting the Unexpected

Start from the beginning

["I'm aware!"] Her friend chuckles. ["By the way, today's my rest day. Do you want me to come over Taemin-ssi's mansion?"]

The way Eunji exaggerated the way she said mansion earned a grunt from Naeun but it quickly replaced it with excitement as she says, "I have a better idea, girl! Why don't we eat breakfast at our usual cafe and... you can accompany me to my ob-gyne this morning like you would always demand, hmm?"

A high pitched squeal erupted from the other line that Naeun had to put her phone away for a second. Totally ecstatic, Eunji screamed ["Sounds perfect! I'm seeing you there in half an hour!"]

Since this is the first time she is going out since weeks of staying indoors, Naeun is careful to don loose dress and an oversized Balenciaga blazer to hide her growing baby bump from prying eyes. She is nearing her fifth month, and of course, her bump is now proudly showing—well, a bit rounder than the typical. She has her suspicions but she needs affirmations, and that is the reason why after declining to visit her doctor for a while, she finally decided to show up. It is not that she does not want to ensure the health of her baby, but she's trying to avoid the limelight for she does not want to be a topic of scandal in the country. Afterall, she has not been reported to be dating anyone. A single woman and pregnant? Sounds like a scandal.

"Dang, you're growing big—I mean, your tummy has gotten big, Naeun-ah!" Eunji stated in amazement when Naeun casually removed her blazer once they found their secluded spot inside the cafe.

Naeun shook her head lightly and offered her friend a smile. There's no point denying it though, her tummy is getting much more difficult to conceal even on loose outfits, unless she wears big blazers like the one she has brought. With a sigh she said, "I know, I know. There is no need to tell me that.Taemin oppa even had to purchase me a new set of clothes and maternity stuff last week."

Eunji's eyes rounded at a specific word. Gasping, she asked, "You now calling him 'oppa'? Wow, why am I just hearing it right now?"

"Duh! You were the one who kept ignoring my calls and all! Of course you are hearing it just now, Eunji-yah." The pregnant woman said and rolled her eyes.

"I am not!" Eunji groaned. "Like what I've said on the call, I've been busy. I don't even have time to go on blind dates and it sucks. Really really sucks! I'm getting old and I'm still single!"

Naeun raised a brow at her. "Oh, I thought you're giving dating apps a shot? Have you changed your mind?"

"My gosh, Nangni! I was only kidding back then!" The older woman exclaimed and a loud laugh erupted from her, causing Naeun to kick her a little to tone down her voice. Apparently, her friend's loud voice is starting to gain audiences and that could offer her no good if someone recognizes her.

Sighing, she said, "You're ridiculous. You always are. But, heck, that is why I love you so much."

Eunji grinned at her. "Aw, and I love you too, girl." After momentarily sipping at her frappe she then asked, "So, tell me. How is everything going with you two living under the same roof? All good?"

"Yes, I guess. We haven't had any quarrels. I mean, we do but it has become less frequent and we no longer fight much on little things." She said and shrugged. "Or maybe because I stopped arguing with him over little things. You know, I feel kinda guilty whenever I do that. He is nice, sincere, and I know that he only wants what's the best for me--for the baby."

A nod was Eunji's instant reply as she absorbed what the pregnant woman just said. She carefully takes note of the details on how she said the words. To her, it appears that Naeun is slowly cracking her impenetrable door to the man and the thought brought a gentle smile on her. Slowly, the gentle smile turned into a smirk and she finally said, "You like him, don't you? Oh wait, let me rephrase that. You are starting to like him. And that is no longer a question. I know you're now liking him."