Chapter VIII: This Stinks

"I told them I'd meet them in the trophy room at midnight for a proper duel," Draco said proudly, lying back in his seat, "I already told Filch I overheard some students claiming they would be there after hours. I can get Potter expelled, without ever having to leave my bed."

"Brilliant, Draco," complimented Pansy.

Draco's gaze sought out Aglaia who was sitting a few feet away, in one of the armchairs in front of the fire. She wasn't paying him any attention as he shared his brilliant plan with the other Slytherins.

Harry had not been expelled for his show during their Flying lesson. From what the Slytherins could tell, he hadn't even been punished. Draco was still not fully convinced that every single prediction of Aglaia would come to be true. But if it was, he needed a back-up plan. Something loud, and public that he could use to prove that he was still a proud Slytherin. In a way, Draco really ought to thank his Black relative for warning him. Maybe that had indeed been her intention. She had, after all, spoken to him very quietly, knowing no one else would hear. Maybe she really had wanted to help and protect him.

Draco had known Aglaia long enough to know that she tended to know things. Things she had no business knowing. She often mentioned in passing things about Draco which he was certain he never told her. The only way he could explain that talent of hers away was that she might have reached a level of Legilimency that no child had any business of managing and that definitely no one expected her to have. Even his mother tended to underestimate Aglaia, and she had always praised her cousin's daughter to the sky. Draco knew better. If Aglaia was right about this – and experience proved she usually was – then Harry Potter had indeed been made Seeker, they'd know soon enough. Draco would begrudgingly admit he made a tactical mistake today. It was embarrassing, and he knew some of his fellow Slytherins were already talking about it behind his back. He had caught Tracey Davis earlier that day, gossiping with some Hufflepuffs. Who did she think she was? Tracey was so forgettable, he barely remembered she was in Slytherin at all. It had been two weeks since school started and the girl had yet to show any sign of a personality. And she thought she could just talk about Draco Malfoy behind his back? And fraternising with a Hufflepuff too. She was a disgrace to her house.

If Draco wanted to keep from being walked all over, he needed to come up with a plan quickly. And so, he did. Inviting Scarhead and that Weasley scum to a midnight duel was a stroke of genius, really.

The next morning, however, Draco was sorely disappointed. Not only were they not expelled, but Aglaia's prediction had also proved true and Draco had to witness Harry getting a brand-new broom to play with. It was infuriating really. Once Draco set his mind to things, he didn't often fail. And yet, he'd been trying to get rid of Harry Potter for two weeks now and the other boy actually seemed to be winning.

Draco mentally cursed Aglaia, unsure of who else he could blame for his misfortunes. He ought to write his parents a damning letter about Aglaia's disrespect and plain disinterest towards him. But the thought alone had him blush in embarrassment. Yes, his mother would comfort him, telling him Aglaia didn't mean it that way, but that would only be more humiliating. As if Draco couldn't fight his own battles and needed his mother to come save him. Aglaia would just laugh in his face. Hell, even his father would be disappointed in him.

"Look," said Daphne, interrupting Draco's thoughts as the blonde shoved something under Aglaia's nose, "a break-in at Gringotts."

GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown.