Chapter 5: A Slytherin Party

Start from the beginning

He kept his hair shaggy, but it looks like he might've brushed it, or at least attempted to. He wore a plain, loose, white shirt with a pair of navy blue dress trousers. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly as he said "You look nice, Hermione"

I smiled back at him, "Thank you, Adrian, you look nice as well"

He offered his arm, and I wrapped my hand around it as he started to lead me back to the snake pit.

We held small talk till we were in the dungeons when I could feel the ground and walls shaking lightly. "Is the music so loud that even the vibrations can't be concealed?"

Adrian nodded proudly "Yep, when Zabini and Nott get a certain type of high, they come up with even more brilliant ways to up our parties. It's kinda a rule that the slytherin quidditch team runs them. It's a small part of the criteria for who makes the team, if you're not going to be fun at parties, you're less likely to make it."

I looked over at him, my mouth gaping, "Are parties really that important that you'll chose a mediocre player over a great player just because the great player is boring"

He shrugged, "Basically, but a lot of things are different in the slytherin house"

I nodded, agreeing, "Like how there has never been a girl on the quidditch team?"

He looked over at me shyly. "You noticed?"

I laughed, "How could anyone not notice? Are slytherins sexist as well?"

He shook his head quickly, eyes widening, "No, no it's not that, it's just that no females tryout, most slytherin girls don't have an interest and if they do, they suck arse at it"

I looked over at him, contemplating what he said. I nodded after a second, as if understanding, there's no way I could see Pansy Parkinson going anywhere close to the quidditch pitch.

As we approached the door, Adrian dropped my arm, looking around to see if anyone was near us before whispering "pit anguis".

"Snake pit? Really? Could you slytherins not be any more creative?" I asked as he cracked open the door just slightly, music still not being heard.

He looked over his shoulder, down at me "It's only used for this weekend, we usually have better names, but Crabbe came up with this one. Malfoy always tries to make sure they are difficult to guess so no outsiders crash, guess he was already too crossed to care and let this one pass."

I laughed as he pulled me through the portrait door.

***

I had an expectation of what it was going to be like inside...

But it was nothing like I imagined.

Knowing that invitations are limited and rare, it still seemed packed to the rim with people. Most looking around my age or only a year or so younger. Gryffindor house party rules are only 4th years and up can attend, but from the looks of it here, only 6th and 7th years can attend, unless formally invited.

I let Adrian lead me through the tight, bustling crowd. Some people raised their eyebrows at me curiously, wondering why there's a lion amongst them, especially me, but upon seeing Adrian holding my hand, they said nothing.

As I peered around the large area of the common room, I noticed the quidditch boys lounging in the seating next to the giant, Black lake windows. No one noticed us till Adrian spoke up.

"Hey mates, look who I've got!" He shouted over the loud music, which my ears were still adjusting to.

As we approached I got to get a good look at all their attires. Zabini was in a sleek, plum looking suit. Nott wore black dress trousers and a black button up, with a cigarette hanging loosely from his mouth. Crabbe and Goyle each wore their normal dress robes, and the same anxious expression as if they didn't want to be here. Finally, Malfoy was wearing black dress trousers, and a simple white, loose, button up shirt. He had rolled the sleeved up to his elbows, exposing his muscular forearms. Flint was the only one missing from the group.