Chapter 1

"Come on, Teldryn!" The Dragonborn urged as he lagged behind her in the ancient crypt she'd wanted to explore. It had only been recently discovered but news of it had reached the female warrior quickly thanks to her friends in Solstheim. They knew she'd be interested in old ruins like this and kept an ear out for her. Upon learning of it while in Skyrim, the woman could nothelp but immediately run off to the island so she could be the first to enter it.

"I'm getting too old for this," the Dark Elf scowled as he brushed off the dirt on his armor and carefully tread past several slain draugr, "I might have to decline next time you hire me. It's not good for my health."

"You knew what you were getting into, Elf," the woman teased as she ventured deeper into the ruin. Teldryn found himself grinning and followed. There was never a dull moment for mercenaries when the Dragonborn came to visit Solstheim. The liberator of the island was always traveling and exploring. She preferred company in her travels and liked to hire skilled Men and Mer as her companions.

Lucky for Teldryn, she chose him for this visit. And though he may complain, he was happy to have something interesting happen in this backwater place. It had been getting rather boring lately.

**********

"What do you mean Teldryn is not available?" The Dragonborn scowled at the Bosmeri barmaid in front of her. She was sitting at a table in the Retching Netch. She had just finished a rather tasty meal of herbed fish and vegetables and had waved the barmaid over when she couldn't find Teldryn.

The Dark Elf was one of her favorite companions on Solstheim. She had been hoping to take him along with her to a Dwemer ruin she'd heard rumors of. It was said to be massive and could contain vast riches for those brave enough to venture inside. The Dragonborn wanted to get to it before others plundered what might lay inside.

"Teldryn was hired by another traveler last week. He won't be back for another week or two," the barmaid explained with an apologetic shrug.

"Damn," the warrior cursed aloud. She paused before speaking next, trying to remember the names of the other mercenaries that she hired less often, "well then... Where is Ragnar?"

"Left for greener pastures somewhere in Skyrim."

"Avina or Mika?"

"They quit. They actually got married... To each other. Didn't see that one coming. I thought they hated each other. Last I heard, they're trying to start a family."

"Is there anyone available to hire?" The Dragonborn sighed, letting her head drop onto the table. She'd been hoping to go to the ruin tomorrow. If she could not find a suitable companion then she would have to wait. As much as she wanted to go, it would be foolish to do it all alone. More than likely there would be numerous enemies and traps like every other Dwemer ruin she'd explored.

"Well... We do have a newbie that moved into this place last month. He's pretty good considering he can't remember anything about himself. He's a rather skilled swordsman and mage."

The Dragonborn lifted her head from the table and the barmaid took that as a sign to continue.

"A friend of mine was actually the one to find him. The poor man was rather confused and would have died out in the cold if not for her. He's only been hired by a few people so far but I've been told he did amazingly on every job."

"What is the name of this man?" The warrior asked, intrigued. An amnestic man who could only remember how to fight? He could be an interesting new friend, the woman thought to herself. Perhaps she could even help him if she hired him. Traveling around with her could jog some of his memories. If she had the opportunity, she was always willing to help others.