"Yes, I called her. She's expecting us at tea time."

Agent 32 and Tony nodded to Agent 162 and left the printing room. They went to the parking lot to wait for the car that would take them to Aunt Mecha's house.

An hour later Tony and Agent 32 got out of the car that had taken them to Aunt Mecha's house. Aunt Mecha lived in a neighborhood far from the city, with big houses with large gardens. The house she lived in seemed to be a luxurious house built in the early 1960s, with flagstones on the floor and stones on the facade. Tony and Agent 32 rang the doorbell. A few seconds later a woman in her sixties opened the door. She had short black hair and was dressed in a maid's uniform.

Tony recognized her. It was Alice, Aunt Mecha's maid.

"Alice?" said Tony.

"Oh, you're Tony, Mecha's nephew! Madam, your nephew is here! You're all grown up! You're a man now!"

"Thank you. This is my boss, Mr. Pendaffles."

At that moment Aunt Mecha arrived to greet them. She was wearing a brown skirt, a green blouse, and green shoes. She wore necklaces, bracelets, and a pair of fancy earrings and had put on make-up.

"Oh, Tony, dear, it's so good to see you at my house, it's been so long since you've been here!"

Aunt gave Tony a kiss on the cheek. Tony could feel Aunt Mecha's lipstick stick to his skin.

"Aunt, this is my boss, Mr. Pendaffles."

"How do you do, sir," Aunt Mecha held out her hand. "Mecha Gazutto, widow of Rockensten Hampton."

"A pleasure," Agent 32 shook her hand.

"You didn't tell me you had a boss. Is he a restaurant owner? I know you're a cook, right? The other day my nephew and I saw each other in the park, but we hardly had time to chat! He didn't tell me anything about his life!"

"Oh, I don't own a restaurant. Your nephew has a temporary job with us. I own a documentary production company. We make documentaries about art. These are our cards."

Agent 32 and Tony handed Aunt Mecha the fake cards that Agent 162 had given them shortly before. Aunt looked them over a bit and put them on a sideboard.

"How fascinating," said Aunt Mecha, "I didn't know you had a temporary job! But let's go in for tea. As it's such a nice afternoon I thought I'd better have a snack in the garden. Alice! Please serve us tea!"

"Yes, madam," said Alice.

They went into the garden. There was a small round table with three chairs, in a patio covered by an awning. On the table were teacups and plates. They were elegant cups, if a bit old-fashioned, full of ornate designs. The spoons glittered. Tony wondered if they were made of silver. The garden had not changed. The old pool was there, and so was the tree with whose branch he had hooked his bathing suit. They sat down at the little table. A few minutes later Alice brought them a tray with tea and sandwiches.

"Eat what you like. There are sandwiches with butter, with cream, and my favorite, with pork fat and sugar," said Aunt Mecha.

"Em...," said Tony. "Aunt, I don't know if I mentioned it but I'm a vegan. I don't eat any of these things."

"What? said Aunt Mecha, raising her arms, "Vegan? But I didn't know anything! Alice, did you know the boy was vegan?"

"No, madam. I haven't had contact with your nephew for thirteen years. And he's no longer a boy."

"It's all right, no problem," said Tony. "I'll drink the tea."

"Oh, no! You're not coming to your aunt's house and not eating! Alice! Heat up some of the white rice we had today for Tony!"