15: Spring Left Me Alone

Start from the beginning

He stuck by his words when he provided Ray with his undivided attention after approximately thirty seconds.

He studied the uncomfortable looking Ray,
"Go ahead."

The ravenette inhaled,
"I won't beat around the bush..."

There was a short pause before he asked, unsure,
"You like Y/n, right?"

A silence engulfed them as Ray scanned Sam's bemused face, afraid the question sounded creepy.

Nonetheless, Sam muttered back, his voice low caused by his hesitation,
"What makes you say that...?"

His jaw tightened,
"First of all, you never use a honorific when you address her, unlike the Lambda group. Then-then ugh..." He groaned as he looked down in frustration, finding his feelings utterly conflicting.

He sighed not making eye contact with the purple-eyed boy sitting across him,"You two are close. I bet there isn't anything that you keep away from each other. And..."

He stuttered the last part, not clearly audible to the latter's ears,
"Not to mention how-how... How you treat her, it's-it's different.

Sam had heard him as clear as day, his expression hardened. He seemed dazed for a moment, pondering over his words. Gradually, his eyes softened and he stared back at Ray who was looking at him expectantly,
"I wouldn't deny that."

Ray pursed his lips,
"Yes or no?"

"None," his firm tone sounded.

Ray tilted his head, confused,
"Huh?"

Sam leaned back, taking a deep breath,
"Ray... You might find this a bit early for me to say this, but I don't like her; I love her."

The distant shouts of Barbara and Cislo were the only thing that was audible to them. A knot had formed in Ray's stomach and his palms were starting to get sweaty. Any mature person would know just how much meaning those three words carry. And those three words weren't as simple to speak unlike how the syllables rung without a hitch.

Ray's fists curled as he mumbled,
"What makes you love her?"

"I am not sure. Could be her hair, her eyes, her demeanor, or maybe just everything," he threw his head back and laughed lightly before continuing, "I know what you must be thinking; competition. Sounds overly cliché, doesn't it? As if it's all a high-school romance story when in reality we are fighting to get the heck out of here."

Ray refused to comment, remaining tranquil. Sam curled his spine forward, his elbows resting on his thighs, his interlaced fingers kept still.

He spoke lowly,
"But y'know what, I don't really care as long she is smiling. Maybe having her in my life would be nice, selfish but nice. Though, as long as she is happy, that'll suffice for me."

Ray swallowed when he spotted the tender smile that appeared on his lips when he spoke about her.

He could never read Sam clearly. He couldn't understand one bit of his resolve. How was it fine for him to see the one he loved to be with someone else? He wondered if he could stand seeing that.

But one point that he confirmed after the short conversation was that Sam was the type of person who let's go of the one he loves, for the latter's happiness and not his own. That's all that mattered to him.

~6 Months Later~

"Hey," Y/n smiled as she approached Ray who sat cross-legged.

He snapped his droopy eyes towards the girl, his eyed widening momentarily. It wasn't normal for her to be the one to initiate a conversation, that too with a soft grin plastered on her face.