Chapter 1: Where Am I?

Start from the beginning

I went back to eating but was interrupted not even a minute later by Five stabbing his knife in the table. We all looked at him.

"Number Five?" Dad asked.

"I have a question," Five said.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson," Dad said.

Five drops his fork on his plate, "I want to time travel."

"No," Dad said.

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said," Five said standing up and spatial jumping over on dad's left, "see?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel," Dad said picking up his glass, "One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

"Well, I don't get it." Five said.

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

Five looked over at me and I shook my head telling him not to do anything stupid.

"I'm not afraid," he said.

"Fear isn't the issue," Dad said cutting his food, "The effects it might have on your body, even your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five gave me one last look before he turned around and walked towards the door.

"Number Five!" Dad called out, "You haven't been excused!"

He didn't listen and just kept running.

He was already out the door when I decided to chase after him.

"Number Eight, get back here!"

I was almost to the door when I started to feel lightheaded.

Something isn't right.

And that's when everything went black.

*End of Flashback*

"We were all at dinner and you stabbed your knife in the table to get Dad's attention. Then you guys got into an argument about time traveling and you ran out the door. I ran after you, but I don't remember making it outside," I said.

"That's because you didn't."

I turned to see who it was, "Vanya?"

She smiled and nodded, "You remember. Pogo told us that you didn't remember anything."

"Well, my memory is back now," I said, "Thanks to Five."

He smiled at me.

"That's great!" She said, "We were all so worried."

I smiled at her, "So, I never made it out of the Academy?"

"No, you were almost to the door before you passed out and hit your head of the table," She said.

I looked over at Five, "When did you get back?"

"About thirty minutes ago, why?" he asked.

"I think I know why I went into a coma."

"We're listening," he said.

"When we mixed our blood, we made a promise to each other-"

"You mixed your blood?" Vanya asked.

"Yes, we did," Five said proudly.

"You could've contracted a disease," she said.

"But we didn't," I said with a smile.