"It's not too late to follow your dreams, Wyn."

We talked about other things as best as we could, knowing that we were both walking on eggshells. We both had things to hide and as much as I wanted to find out everything there was to know about him I held back. Before I knew it we were pulling off the main road onto a windy track, the car groaning in protest. Aspen put the car into park and a wide smile spread across my face as I surveyed the surroundings.

"How did you know?" I squealed, excited to see the surrounding orange hues.

"Meredith told me you love it every year. She also told me Halloween is your favorite time of the year and I know it's coming up soon so thought I'd start it off right." Meredith was so nosy but for once I couldn't be more thankful for the woman coming into my life.

We got out of the car and I hurriedly walked towards the entrance of the park. Pumpkins were splattered across the field. Different shapes and sizes. An attendant approached us, wearing a full orange uniform.

"Here to carve some pumpkins folks?" He asked, in an overly cheery voice, "Y'all could go ahead and pick whichever one each, tell me and then come across to the main building so that you could carve them. I'll bring them for you.

We thanked him and started walking around. "How about that one?" He pointed to a very large round one.

"That's a good one for you, take it, " I said leaving him to tell the attendant. I continued to survey the area, avoiding tripping over some in my path. There were two other families in the field all laughing as they figured out who could pick the best one.

Aspen joined me back, wrapping his arm loosely around my shoulder. His proximity always sent my body into a frenzy and that day wasn't an exception.

"How about this one?" He asked pointing to a funny-looking one. it was lopsided and had a bruise on the top of it. I observed the poor pumpkin and turned to him smiling, "it's perfect."

"Wait, you're not serious right? I was just joking." He looked at me concerned. "It's hideous. Probably the ugliest pumpkin in the whole field."

"I know, but it has character," I countered, waving at the pumpkin guy. He hustled across to us and with the same expression as Aspen asked, "You sure?"

I rolled my eyes at both of them as Aspen finished for me, "the lady wants what she wants."

He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the building, the only warmth I felt radiating onto me off of it. I would be lying if I didn't say this whole situation was awkward, to say the least. Only last night he confessed his feelings to me and here we were already holding hands on a pumpkin carving date. It almost seemed too good to be true. And part of me, the part that thinks rationally, knew it was. After every high, there was always a low and I think I was already anticipating it.

"I must warn you, I'm pretty good at carving pumpkins," he teased, squeezing my hand as we entered. The inside of the building was as cozy as I dreamed it would be. It was designed to be like a cabin on the inside. Everything was designed from wood.

There was a cafe perched at the back where a barista was busy making a coffee drink. A few tables were scattered throughout the place with little lamps placed on each. In the corner was a fireplace, the crackles of ember defining the ambiance.

"You want a coffee?" Aspen asked me as I took a seat at one of the tables.

"Hot chocolate, please. I'm not such a coffee fan," I stated sheepishly, hugging my arms to my chest, my wool sweater finally warming me up.

"Two hot chocolates coming right up," he said already walking to the counter.

"Here's your pumpkins and your knives," the guy from outside stated as he put the pumpkins down on the table. I chuckled noticing how big Aspen's own was compared to mine. "Do you guys want help or you think you'll manage?"