Thirty Three

*THIS IS A DOUBLE UPDATE: MAKE SURE TO READ CHAPTER 32 BEFORE THIS*

Harry's P.O.V. January 1st

"Happy New Year," I whisper with a kiss when Em wakes up.

I didn't sleep much last night, but I know Em slept like a baby. Well, not like our baby. Our baby doesn't sleep through the night yet.

I didn't sleep because I spent a lot of time feeling bad for everything Em is going through, and then also figuring out what I want to do about the lawsuit. I'm still torn, but hopeful Em and I will come to a civil conclusion today.

"Happy New Year," Em smiles a bit and presses a kiss to the center of my chest. It's a small gesture, but it makes my heart flutter. Em doesn't use a lot of nicknames like I do with her. Instead, she shows her affection through various loving touches. Our love language is definitely a mix of words of affirmation and touch, the latter being something we've unfortunately lacked lately.

"Did you sleep well?" Em asks in her groggy morning voice.

"Not great, but I know you did. Your heavy breathing tickled my chest all night and every now and then you'd squeeze me a tiny bit tighter," I smile at the thought.

"Sorry," she blushes.

"Don't be. It was cute, I loved it." I kiss her face a few times to wake us up, but also because I can't get enough of her. She finally pushes me away and realizes we don't have a baby to attend to first thing in the morning.

"What time is it?" she asks, blindly searching for her phone. "It's almost nine!"

"Wow. I can't remember the last time we slept in this late," I comment.

"Me neither. We must have really needed it," Em says with another yawn.

"What do you want to do today?" I ask her, looking deeply into her eyes in order to read her. I've had difficulty reading her lately because we haven't kept much eye contact. Right now, she seems hesitant, almost like she's scared to admit something.

"Emmy," I stroke her cheek, "What are you in the mood for?"

Instead of a spoken response, she blushes a little and the most minuscule smile appears.

"I missed that nickname," she whispers and looks away from my gaze.

"Yeah?" I smile back, remembering all those years ago when we were in our honeymoon stage. "I used to call you that all the time and you said you hated it."

"I didn't hate it," she backtracks.

"Um, if I do recall correctly, you told me it made you feel like a child which was gross," I chuckle a bit.

"I grew to like it though," she finally admits.

"Okay, then. I'll remember that. Buuut, you avoided my question, Em."

"Let's take a shower and then have a lazy day. I don't want to make plans," she says and scoots her body closer to the head of the bed, sitting up just a bit.

"What about a bath instead?" I suggest and she nods with a smile. I crane my neck to look up at her now that she's at a higher elevation, and I pucker my lips to mold against hers. She hums and places a hand on my left cheek.

As I pull away, I whisper, "I love you, Emmy," and she whispers back, "I love you too."

***

After our romantic, candle-lit, vanilla scented bath, I spend a while preparing lunch. We eat in the living room and watch a few episodes of Friends. Then we facetime Annie to see Charlie who seems to be having a blast with her Aunties.