seven. to love and to cherish

-

to love and to cherish

-

"I'm home," Toji called out as he let the door shut behind him. 

"Welcome home," (Y/N) greeted, appearing before him with Megumi in her arms. 

Her smile soon morphed into one of bemusement, looking at something on her husband's shoulder, her adoptive son seeing the same thing, tilting his head in a cute manner. A couple years had passed since Megumi had first been introduced to the Fushiguro family, and now he was able to walk and talk, though he rarely engaged in the later. The sight that he and his mother were seeing now, however, prompted him to speak.

Megumi pointed at the thing sitting on his father's shoulders and simply said, "Worm."

"Worm, indeed, Umi." (Y/N) said, nodding like the child had said something inspirational, before turning her husband and saying, "I didn't know you carried around a cursed spirit."

"A what." Toji said, now equally confused as the rest of them.

The mother and son who could both see cursed spirits looked at the worm, then each other, and finally at the man who had no cursed energy at all. Toji met their gaze with one of indifference, though it was obvious he was aware to some degree of what they were talking about and was withholding that information to be playfully annoying.

While setting Megumi down, (Y/N) explained, "The cursed spirit wrapped around your shoulder resembles a large worm. It's kind of cute in an ugly way. Have you always had it?"

"I got it a few months back to carry around my weapons," Toji said. He demonstrated by taking out the special grade cursed tool, the Inverted Spear of Heaven, from the mouth of the worm, showing it to (Y/N) before returning it to the stomach of the cursed spirit. The whole process was extremely off putting for someone who could see the spirit and she couldn't imagine what it would be like for him with no cursed energy, who couldn't see it. "Oh, and before I forget, I got it to carry around something else too."

He reached back into the worm, fishing around for something and making (Y/N) blanch. 

"While you do, whatever it is your doing, I'll be in the living room with Umi." (Y/N) turned away from the scene and went back to what she was doing before, folding clothes while Megumi watched a cartoon on the television. She found the child already back on the couch, now with a juice box in hand and his eyes glued to the screen.

Eventually, she heard the shower turn on, telling her that Toji was washing off the grime from his mission, then not long after it turned off, she heard him again, digging around in the fridge. His actions made her laugh in an ironic type of way, because she remembered when they had first entered this arranged marriage and their was hesitance in both their actions around the other. Now, he sounded more than comfortable in their home than ever before and that made her heart light with love.

Then, once he had settle into being home, Toji joined the rest of his family in the living room, crashing on the couch beside (Y/N) and allowing the side of his body to touch hers. It was casual affection she had to grow used to after so many years of keeping out of physical contact with other people.

"What's Megumi watching?" Toji asked after staring at the screen with his son for a little bit. 

On screen, two creatures that slightly resembled animals were battling using different fighting techniques. The show was recognizable to almost anyone, but apparently not Toji.

"It's Pokémon." (Y/N) said in amusement. "You do know what Pokémon is, don't you?"

Toji gave her an unamused look. "I can't see cursed spirits, you think I know what a Pokémon is?"

Unable to help herself, (Y/N) began laughing at his words, missing the entertained smirk Toji sent in her direction. She leaned against him as she laughed and he extended his arm to put around her shoulders, pulling her closer to him. At one point, Megumi turned to glare at them for interrupting his show, but he didn't say anything.

"Since you're here, I have something for you," Toji said once she finished laughing. 

He brought out a small box from the pocket of his sweatpants, but before he could open it, (Y/N) blurted out, unable to believe someone was giving something to her. "A gift? For me?"

"Yes, for you." He said like it was obvious. Toji opened the box, displaying two shining silver rings and adding, "I wouldn't give this to just anybody. Besides, I think it's about time we make our marriage official."

Of course, his words warmed her heart but at the same time she couldn't help but speculate as she accepted the ring from Toji's outstretched hand. "Please tell me that wasn't in the worm."

"I make no promises," he said with a smirk, telling her yes, the ring had been inside the worm.

Even so, she put on the ring onto the ring finger on her left hand, admiring it in the gentle sunlight coming through the window. A soft smile made its way onto her face, after all, there was no denying it now, just how much she cared for him and he for her. The two of them, who had been so apart when they first met, were now binding themselves to each other with rings, a simple way to show the rest of the world that they belonged to each other. 

Once Toji put on his own ring, (Y/N) took his hand softly in her own and placed her palm against his, comparing the size of their hands while also admiring the two rings. Her voice just above a whisper, she said, "Thank you."

Toji just hummed, but she caught him smiling too. 

Their moment was interrupted, though not necessarily, when Megumi moved from where he had been watching the TV on the floor and came over to them, climbing between his two parents to get more comfortable. Toji ruffled his son's hair, not minding one bit. (Y/N) pulled a blanket over the three of them, happy to spent time with her family. The Fushiguro's were happier than ever.