Of course Suga knew why she was being so stubborn, and he didn't blame her. But they hadn't had a chance to really talk about what happened and the longer they waited, the more awkward it would be. "Come on, Sunshine, we have to talk about it at some point." Not like he exactly wanted to relive it all again either, but there were still things left unsaid, questions unanswered that had to be solved.

After he and Kaido had found her huddled on the gym floor, clearly in agony, Suga had refused to leave her side for another twenty minutes while they had both cried. Kaido had eventually taken charge and had convinced the Nekoma coach to drive Machi to a walk-in clinic when she had refused to let him call an ambulance. The clinic gave her enough pain meds and ice packs to last the rest of the weekend until she could visit her regular doctor, and Suga and Kaido both double teamed it to make sure she actually took the medication and stayed off the mats for the remainder of the training camp. Whether in a state of shock or a bit woozy from the meds, Machi didn't say much to anyone the next few days; avoiding her father more than ever, but also limiting contact with the entire volleyball team as well. When the buses had finally dropped both teams back at the school, Machi had followed behind her cousin quietly and without a farewell to anyone, and Suga knew then he'd have to do something soon to try and break through the fog she'd seemed to place around herself.

Finally accepting she'd been pinned into a corner, Machi peered at Suga with a pouty lip, scowling further when he grinned, "There she is! The prettiest girl I know." Suga gave her nose a soft peck to try and make her smile, "Now we just gotta turn that frown upside down."

"Seriously, Suga, I'm not in the mood..."

"All the more reason to talk it out and help you feel better." Starting to feel a bit anxious at her reluctance, Suga reached for both her hands and leaned forward until his forehead rested against hers, "Please. Don't shut me out. Let me help."

Now her throat was burning in the effort to remain composed. He was being too sweet, too patient, and she didn't deserve it. Keeping her voice low so as not to attract any more unwanted attention, Machi focused on their entwined hands instead of his painful looking bruise that she was convinced she was responsible for. "But it's all my fault, Suga. I should have known this would happen and tried to stop it."

"Don't do that. You are not to blame for anything."

"But you got hurt because of me." Suga watched as her eyes focused momentarily on his bruised chin and slightly swollen lip before they settled back down at the floor. "I dragged you into this mess and look what happened." In all honesty his injury was minor, but the very thought that it happened at all because of her selfish desire to have him around was a guilt as sour as lemonade without sugar.

"I got punched because I defended my girlfriend." Suga replied gently. Of course she would shoulder all the burden on herself, that was just typical. "That jerk couldn't handle that we are happy together," his thumb started tracing circles along the back of hers in a comforting way, "and if I had to do it all over again I would."

Machi turned their hands over in her lap and anxiously began drawing circles of her own on his palm. "So, you don't regret it?" Or us? The silent question behind her words rang loud and clear, and Machi mentally prepare herself for the worst. He wouldn't want to stick around after this. Obviously she'd warned him of the consequences of her father finding out about them, and he'd seemed willing to take the risk then, but now that shit had hit the fan, Machi couldn't blame him for wanting to leave while he still could. It would hurt, to watch him go; but it would be for the best. She'd be alright. Alone was safer anyway.

"The only thing I regret is this." With the softest of touches Suga pulled her bandaged leg to rest in his lap, "That you got the worst of it and somehow still think it's your fault." With one hand keeping her knee in place, he pulled her chair closer so they could sit more comfortably together. And when it looked like her eyes began to water, Suga's caress was there to wipe them away. "It was the happiest day of my life when you agreed to be my girlfriend, Machi. And while it hasn't exactly been the walk in the park we hoped it might be, no, I don't regret it. And I'm not going anywhere."