Chapter 22

Friday, 18th June 2021

As she woke first thing, she felt was the engulfing heat of a body tangled with hers, their bare skin pressed against one another as she realised, she only wore a bra and panties, not her usual night-time attire. She couldn't remember how much she'd had to drink last night but she didn't remember anything beyond getting into Derek's car. She groaned softly as she turned to look at Derek who was wrapped around her from behind, still sleeping. Her mouth felt unbearably dry, her head was slightly pounding, and she really needed to pee.

She turned again to untangle herself from him, groaning softly again at the harsh light that filtered through the small gap in the drawn over curtains as she tried to get out of the bed. Her efforts were hindered by Derek's strong arms keeping her held against him.

"Derek, move," she murmured, trying to remove his arms from around her with a little more force as her need to pee increased.

"Hm, what's up," he murmured almost inaudibly, his face burying against the back of her neck.

"I really need to pee," she murmured as she continued to try and move his arms out of the way.

"Go on," he muttered with a slight chuckle, pressing a kiss to her shoulder as he moved his arms back and their legs untangled.

He turned over and seemingly went back to sleep as she climbed out of the bed, walking through into the bathroom to sort herself out. She stood in front of the mirror, washing her hands, and looking at her reflection. Her hair was slightly untidy and, of course, she was still in just her bra and panties, but she still couldn't figure out what had happened last night after the bar. She dried her hands off on the towel before walking back through into the bedroom, stretching her arms up into the air as she spotted one of Derek's t-shirts on the floor beside the bed.

She picked it up and pulled it over her head, watching Derek as he apparently slept a moment. Her head tilted to the side slightly as she thought. She'd have to tell him soon that she was leaving for England at the end of next weekend. She had to tell her mother that she was leaving, but that was more of a formality.

"Are you going to watch me sleep all day or come back to bed?" his voice pulled her out of her thoughts.

"I didn't realise you were awake," she said with a soft laugh.

She moved to sit on the end of the bed, cross-legged, fiddling with the hem of his t-shirt she wore. He didn't move to look at her and she continued to sit there, watching him a moment as she chewed on her bottom lip. She didn't know what she was supposed to do. She wanted to tell him, he deserved to know she would be leaving in almost a week, but she didn't want him to convince her to stay.

"I should probably head back home soon, anyway, it's almost two in the afternoon and I have things I need to do, and arrange," she said after a moment, her eyes focused on the clock on his bedside table.

"You should allow yourself at least one day of having nothing to do, or stress about," he said as he turned in the bed to face her, his hand reaching for hers.

"Life doesn't allow you to just do nothing all day," Meredith shook her head with a light laugh, her hand moving into Derek's open one.

"I never said it did," he gently tugged on her hand as he spoke, "Come back to bed anyway."

She deliberated for a split second, but her desire to curl back up under the blankets with him took over any rational thought she may have had. She moved to her original place beside him, lay facing him with their fingers still entwined.