|22|

-ˋˏ *.·:·. [ONE WEEK LATER] .·:·.* ˎˊ-

CHARLOTTE LOVED THE FEELING OF KNOWING THAT HER BROTHER WAS SLEEPING BEHIND THE WALL IN HER BEDROOM. The two often stayed up late at night, just talking about everything in life. She opened up to him and vented all her troubles away, it was the things that she didn't want anyone but her Brother to know. The two often had accidental sleepovers, one sleeping in the bed and one sleeping curled up on the comfy reading chair in his room. That chair still smelt of her Father and it was weirdly comforting to fall asleep smelling, maybe that was why Mother still slept in his shirts. 

Adapting to her Brother living with them until after her birthday was something she didn't want to call difficult, even though it was sometimes. Now there were three heads in the house, three heads with different opinions that resulted in interesting debates and sometimes awful arguments that were sorted before too much damage could be done. The bakery however had never run smoother. With Rían helping with the abundance of Christmas themed orders, pastries and cakes were flying out of the shop's door. Mince pies, currant cakes and an awful amount of cinnamon treats filled the house with a mixture of gorgeous smells. Charlotte loved Christmas, she especially loved the run-up to Christmas with her brother though. It felt like how it used to be before Father died and before Rían left for school. And she welcomed that feeling even though it couldn't last forever. It, after all, did not do the soul any good to dwell on the past. 

Adding to the abnormality of her daily routine was the Christmas Pantomime. The entire school house had been given a role, whether it be an acting role or a set building role. Everyone had a job and attendance to every practice that you were needed for was mandatory, this took time away from the amount she had to spend with her Brother but he convinced her it was for the best. Charlotte's life shouldn't just stop because he had returned home, he certainly didn't want his arrival to mess up any amazing thing in her life. They were few and far between but small amounts of happiness are often better than large amounts. 

Charlotte stood atop a ladder next to Cole on another as they painted a piece for the panto. The white board which they were given to paint would surround the stage and match the play. The two had decided on painting a forest with a few tropical birds and flowers weaved in between the trees. The idea grew to be very prominent in their heads and as Cole sketched the base drawing the image came to life. He did the base drawing and she was in charge of the painting, it was a joint effort and they both critiqued each others work so they got the best possible result whilst learning ways to improve themselves. It was a very good agreement and it was much better than having to act in a ridiculous play about a 'devil lobster' and a 'golden apple',  in Charlotte's opinion anyway. 

They were working on the very middle of the painting, having done one side to completion when the younger school children began to sing carols if you could call it singing. "That is a dreadful noise," Charlotte complained quietly only so he could hear it, she didn't want to come across as rude but it truly was a dreadful noise. It was the type of sound that rattles in your head even after they had finished, the sound echoed in both their brains as they carefully applied green paint to the board.

Cole hummed in agreement, wincing as the sound scratched the inside of his head. "Do you think it would block the sound if we stuffed these in our ears?" he joked gesturing to the paintbrush in hand, even though it was a joke they both hoped for some sort of relief.

"One can only hope," Charlotte laughed softly, taking the end of her paintbrush and jokingly putting the end into her ear. Cole laughed at the feigned disappointment on his friend's face then the two got back to painting. The singing of the young children thankfully stopped and the two were left to paint in peace.

"What do you think this part needs, I know it's something but I can't put my finger on it," Cole asked leaning back on the ladder slightly, not so far that he would fall but far enough to see a greater amount of the painting. Charlotte stopped the detail on the red bird's beak and did the same on her ladder, making sure it didn't topple. 

"Maybe another flower? Break up the green a little," she suggested with a slight shrug, the flower would hopefully break the looming sense that green leaves were taking over. Painting was and always will be an experiment, making and changing mistakes until it was perfect. And on that painting, there were many mistakes made. One which was so bad they had to try and clean the paint from the surface with dampened cloths. She painted with such focus that everything else seemed to fade away, she only heard the odd remark from Cole but she certainly didn't see Gilbert watching her focused expression as she painted. 

-ˋˏ *.·:·. [TWO DAYS LATER] .·:·.* ˎˊ-

RÍAN STILL HADN'T MET GILBERT BLYTHE SO HE WONDERED WHO HIS SISTER SPOKE SO FONDLY OF. So when the idea of Gilbert and Sebastian coming over to the Rayhill household for Christmas dinner was suggested by Charlotte one morning, he very much liked the idea. He wanted to make sure that his sister had chosen someone who could keep her safe and happy while he wasn't there, not that he didn't trust her choices with friends.  Charlotte packed a basket of bakes, from a late-night baking session with her brother, including mince pies and cinnamon swirls and set off for her second favourite house in Avonlea.

The snow flurries coated her waves as she walked through the snow, feet sinking slightly with every step. She glanced in the direction of John's grave as she followed the footprints already in the snow up to Gilbert's front door. She felt a soft smile form on her face when she saw that her flowers still lay on the grave, still very much alive as they were only put there a few days ago. Charlotte had been told by Gilbert on multiple occasions that it wasn't necessary for her to knock any more, she could walk in at any time of the day or night if she needed to. So she stepped through the threshold and hung up her hat and coat without any contact with anyone in the house. The clinking of china as she bought out the plates called both of them into the kitchen, Bash once again wrapped up in a quilt and Gilbert with a book in hand, smiles came to their faces once the baked goods were bought out of the baskets. 

Bash, rather apprehensively, took one of the mince pies and expressed his appreciation to Charlotte before taking a bite from the pastry. The swirling Christmas flavours in a mince pie were quickly brought to his attention and he took another delicious bite, not wanting the flavour to ever leave. Gilbert and Charlotte both laughed at his first experience of a mince pie but quickly joined him at the table to eat their own, engaging in a conversation as they ate. 

"Do you two want to join us for Christmas dinner?" Charlotte asked once the conversation had reached a natural holt, she hadn't been nervous to ask but them saying no caused her slight worry. Of course, it was their right to say no if they didn't want to but having them both over at her house for Christmas was a very appealing thing. 

"If it wouldn't be an imposition." They had just thought Christmas would pass without much celebration, they would not have had the traditional meal or celebrated the special day but the idea of doing so very much appealed to the both of them. 

"Of course not, Mother said it was okay this morning and Rían wants to meet you both," Charlotte smiled before taking a sip from her glass, she hoped that they would need a little convincing. Charlotte would without a doubt be able to convince them, she was very persuasive when it was a matter that she deeply cared for.  

"If you're sure," Gilbert replied causing the girl to enthusiastically nod her head. He honestly couldn't think of a better way to spend Christmas, good food and the perfect company sounded perfect to him. "Then we would love to, right Bash?" 

"Only if you bake more of these," Sebastian joked taking another from the pile that she had built on the plate. A smile turned into a soft laugh as she watched him, feeling overjoyed that someone could appreciate something so simple so much. The idea of spending Christmas with her brother, her new friend and her best friend added to the feeling that swirled in her stomach. Once again, Charlotte Rayhill could not wait for Christmas.