chapter twenty six

Start from the beginning

"Ron is just a dumb brick, alright?"

Hermione stopped and looked up at her confused. "Dumb brick?"

"It was the first thing that came to my mind."

"Oh."

"Listen, Hermione i believe your cat didn't hurt Scabbers. I bet Scabbers is just hiding somewhere. Please don't let Ron get to you, he's literally a ginger man."

Hermione sniffled and laughed.

The Gryffindor party ended only when Professor Mcgonagall turned up in her tartan dressing gown and hairnet at one in the morning, to insist that they all go to bed. Hermione and Rose were still in the dormitory, but they fell asleep in eachothers arms as Rose was comforting her.

It was soon enough, Rose and Hermione almost fell right out of the bed when a strangled yell sounded from the boys dormitory.

"AAARRGGHH! NOOO!"

Rose woke up as suddenly as though he'd been hit in the face.

"Hermione," she whispered. "What the hell was that?"

"I don't know." She whispered back. "It kind of sounded like Ron."

They started at eachother for a moment before jumping out of bed and springing down the staircase, other people getting out of bed as well.

"Who shouted?"

"What're you doing?"

"What's all the noise?"

A few girls, including Hermione and Rose, had come down the staircase, pulling on dressing gowns and yawning. Boys, too, were reappearing.

"Everyone back upstairs!" said Percy, hurrying into the common room and pinning his Head Boy badge to his pajamas as he spoke.

"Perce—Sirius Black!" said Ron faintly. "In our dormitory! With a knife! Woke me up!"

The common room went very still.. so quiet Rose heard her heartbeat beating quickly.

"Nonsense!" said Percy, looking startled. "You had too much to eat, Ron—had a nightmare—"

"I'm telling you—"

"Now, really, enough's enough!"

Professor McGonagall was back. She slammed the portrait behind her as she entered the common room and stared furiously around.

"I am delighted that Gryffindor won the match, but this is getting ridiculous! Percy, i expected better if you!"

"I certainly didn't authorize this, Professor!" said Percy, puffing himself up indignantly. "I was just telling them all to get back to bed! My brother Ron here had a nightmare—"

"IT WASN'T A NIGHTMARE!" Ron yelled. "PROFESSOR, I WOKE UP, AND SIRIUS BLACK WAS STANDING OVER ME, HOLDING A KNIFE!"

Professor McGonagall stared at him. "Don't be ridiculous, Weasley, how could be possibly have gotten through the portrait hole?"