II. Evolving

3 Weeks Later...

Ryder and I have been getting closer. Each time we see each other, I learn something about him and he learns something new about me. The DS meetings got deeper and Mrs. Smitty's questions got a lot more personal. Nonetheless, she still holds our attention.

It's Thursday. The June weather makes the outdoors look appealing. I want to go out. Today is too pretty to pass up. I dial Ryder's number and he picks up on the third ring.

"Why hello there gorgeous," I can hear his smirk on the other end.

"Hey Ryder," I'm blushing.

"What's up?"

"Well I was gonna go to the mall, wanna come with?"

I managed to convince Karen to let me go by myself. Last week, I got my driver's license. All the studying paid off because now I'm a free woman. As a gift, they bought me a used 2012 Mustang gt. It doesn't seem too glorious to you maybe, but for someone who has never owned anything luxurious, I fell apart. She runs smooth and even though her interior isn't in the greatest condition, I cherish it.

"Why of course I'll go to the mall with you. Besides, I need a new pair of shoes," I hear yelling.

"My grandma's calling me. Pick me up around 3. I wanna see that car you got," he hangs up.

At 1:57, I get a text message from him. It's his address.

*Thank you

He responds within seconds.

*Don't you try to rob me.

I wanna say something sappy like "Only your heart," but friends don't send things like that to each other.

Instead I go with *Don't plan to :)

and I go get ready.

One leg at a time, I put on my sheer tights and tug on my shorts. Throwing my hair to the side, I put my head though the open hole of my Nirvana muscle tank and finish it off with an oversized jean jacket. I grab my slightly over worn Doc-Martens and hop to my bed.

I ram my foot into them and try to wipe off any dirty that hasn't clung to the surface. I need new shoes, too. I put my hair in a bun and brush my teeth.

Ah, minty fresh.

I run downstairs full speed, skipping 2 stairs at a time. I haven't had this much energy since...well, I've never had this much energy. Ryder is affecting me in a way I've never been affected. Karen has noticed, too.

"Well someone is happy this afternoon," She's smiling at me. The microwave beeps and she opens it. The smell of food fills my nose and my mouth waters.

"I thought I'd cook something different for lunch today. I hope you like it,"

I walk over to the table and view her creations. Meatloaf, potatoes, and green beans lay scattered across the table. I notice 2 other plates. David and Tyson are eating with us.

"I hope you don't mind. David has to be at work by 3:30 and he woke Tyson up from his nap. Getting that little one to go back to sleep is almost impossible"

I shrug. "It's okay," and I start to eat. After awhile, David and Tyson join us downstairs. Soon, we're all eatting at the round table together.

"I was going to go to the mall today. I wanted to get a pair of shoes and maybe a couple more shirts,"

"Okay. Are you going alone?" she knows I'm not.

"Um no. I was gonna go with Ryder," David drops his fork in a dramatic fashion.