Chapter 15: Stories

1974

Alice

Alice

"DID YOU KNOW THAT THE GIANT SQUID ATE A KID ONCE?" Frank said. We sat in the corridor, shoulder to shoulder. Our backs leaned against the stone wall—the freezing air nibbled at our sensitive skin and our warm breath. The smell of fresh rain floated around us. Tiny droplets fell from our clothes and formed a small puddle surrounding us as we tried to air-dry.

I looked at Frank with a terrified look, "It did not." Frank's hair hung across his face. The darkened sandy blonde hair was clumped in tiny sections from the wetness. It was strangely attractive. However, my eyes held onto his. They glistened in the late noon sun. Showcasing the hickory brown that possessed them. He's so perfect.

"It did. A kid a year above me, actually. He fell into the lake and the giant squid ate him whole," He told me, "The whole year saw it with their own eyes."

"That did not happen," I chuckled.

"It did. Ask peeves. He told me the whole story."

"Uh-huh, and peeves never lies," I continued with the joke.

"Never," He smirked. I playfully rolled my eyes. Something blue caught my eye. I looked down at the blowing gum Frank had gotten me. I picked one up and handed it to him.

"Do you want one?" I asked.

"Are you sure? It's yours," He said.

"Of course. Here." I placed the gum into the palm of his hand.

"Thank you." He unwrapped the sweet and placed it into his mouth.

"I can take the wrapper," I said. Frank placed the small paper into my hand. I put it in my pocket.

"Ugh," Frank groaned as he looked down at his watch.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I was scared I had done something wrong or that he'd missed something important.

"The water damaged my watch. I totally forgot I had it on," He sighed, "It was my dads. He gave it to me for my 16th birthday."

"I can get it fixed if you'd like," I suggested.

"You know how to fix watches?"

"No, but Pandora is really good at charms. She'll know what to do. And I'm sure if she can't fix it there'll be someone she knows who can," I smiled.

He placed the cold metal watch onto my hand, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," I looked fondly into his eyes. I couldn't help but smile at him. His mouth grew into a handsome smile. I always found it beautiful how his lips would lift his small cheeks. It always laid perfectly on his face.

A gush of cold wind abruptly brushed past my cheeks, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Are you cold?" He asked.