Explaining

Erik walked me back to the mirror of my dressing room. He turned to me and said, "Now that you know you must promise not to speak of any of this to anyone. Come up with something else to tell anyone who asks why you have been missing. Especially don't tell anyone you have seen me." 

My head is lowered and and I let out a sigh.

"Alright... but will I ever see you again?"I ask looking to him again but I can't see his face very well from the darkened corridor.

"I don't know. But I will not be giving voice lessons as frequently anymore if not at all." My eyes grew wide in shock.

"What? No! You can't leave me! What am I to do?" I ask in a loud whisper. He looks shocked that I am saying this but answers quietly. Even when he is quiet his voice is strong and commanding. 

"I'm doing this for the both of us. Just do as I say. Now go." 

I turn from him and see the light from the room seeping behind the mirror. 

"Erik," I start but as I turn back he's already gone. I have nothing else to do but go through.

As soon as I walk in I am met by an overwhelming smell of flowers from opera goers and chorus members. I turn to see a sleeping frame on the couch and realize it is Meg. What is she doing here? Has she been here all night? I look to the clock that is on the adjacent wall from me and see it is noon already. I walk to her and place my hand on her shoulder.

"Meg..." I whisper slightly shaking her, "Meg..." I whisper again but she won't wake up. I look outside and see it is raining rather hard, meaning everyone who lives here is stuck inside for the day. 

"Marguerite Giry wake up this instant!" I shout and immediately she jerks herself up with wide eyes and sudden defensive manner. She looks to me and says with a rather surprised tone. 

"Christine! Oh my word we have been worried sick about you! Where have you been!?" I sigh and remember I am not allowed to say.

"I think it's best for me to explain if your mother is with us." I tell her, she looks suspicious but doesn't question. "Okay, let's go to her now then. She has been worried about you and has barely slept," she stood up and grabbed me by the hand. I guess we couldn't wait forever.

We hurriedly walked out of the room and around a large beam to go to the stairwell. We walked by several rooms hearing many people with shocked voices saying "Christine is that you!?" "Christine we have been worried sick!" "Where have you been?" "Did the Opera Ghost take you?" Of course I refused to reply to any of them. I had to speak to Madame Giry immediately.

We finally reached her room and Meg left a knock on the door. We heard a voice from behind. "Who is it?" Meg looked to me and back to the door. 

"It's Meg and Christine," she said and we were met with a loud rustle for the door and it swung open leaving a breeze. Madame Giry stares at me for a moment before bringing me in for a hug.

"Oh Christine, I have been so worried. I didn't know what to do. Where have you been?" she took my face in her hands and looked to me for an answer. However, I put my eyes down, not wanting to meet her gaze. I made a promise not to say where I have been.

"Christine Carin Daae. Answer me now," she said with a stern voice. I let out a sigh of defeat. \

"I can't tell you," I replied quietly. "Go into the room. I need to speak to you alone. Meg, are okay with that?" 

"Yes mother. I will go clean a little bit then," and with that Meg left me alone and scared.

I walked into the room and sat on her couch. Her decoration was elegant, but it didn't soothe me from the wrath that is to come.

"Would you like some tea?" she asked, and I nodded in reply. She poured me a cup and handed it to me as she sat down across from me. It felt like a while before she finally spoke up.

"Why won't you tell me?" She questioned. I looked down at my now empty tea cup, and set it down on its plate and placed it on the table. 

"I promised I wouldn't say," I replied quietly.

"Promised? Promised who?" she asked. I sighed again because she was asking me all of the questions I couldn't answer.

"I can't say Madame." I replied again. I looked to her expecting to see her annoyed or confused. She didn't look either. She looked angry. 

"He took you didn't he?"

"He Madame?" I questioned trying to pretend I didn't know what she was referring to. "Yes, he. Did he take you? Did he show you who he is?" I was surprised and didn't know what to say. She knew. But how?

"How do you know who he is?" I asked her afraid yet curious. 

"I have known him much longer than you think. I am the reason he lives here. But he promised me he wouldn't." 

"What? You can't be serious," I said quickly. She's lying . She must be!

"Oh no, I am quite serious. Your Angel is some of my doing. But I made him promise me, not to take you. Or anything to you. He promised me."

Oh no. Erik, who are you?

A/N: I'm not sure I like this chapter so much. But thank you for reading my story everyone! I really do appreciate it. Also I gave Christine her middle name to be 'Carin' because it's Swedish meaning 'chaste and pure' which I think perfectly reflects her personality.